Bear jerky!

Ajsnack

Jun 5, 2012
San Diego
First time trying to make bear jerky. Just using some dry maple seasoning and dehydrating for a few hours. See how it goes.

Attachments

• bearjerky.jpg_thumb.png
    bearjerky.jpg_thumb.png
    2.3 MB · Views: 99
should come out good. bear meat is delicious, all depends if u cook it right. that looks like it'll come out great 8)

It's pretty good a bit tough, do not know if I had it in the dehydrator too long or it's just the meat. None the less still pretty tasty!

looks great! bear meat is really tough, but really good. no way in hell u can tenderize it. good job :)

Had some of Snack's jerky today and thought it was pretty good! It is the first time I have eaten bear and it was definitely unique - in a good way.

I thought bear meat was like pork and had to cooked to be safe to eat. I have never heard of pork jerky.

The whole pork thing is a fallacy. I have been eating pork medium rare my whole life...

Ever hear of someone getting sick from pork? I have not. Chicken yes but pork no.

If I remember correctly the whole undercooked pork scare thing goes back to trichinosis, don't eat rabbits much any more but I do remember that my folks would wait for cool weather to consume wild white game meat supposedly cooler weather lessened the chance of getting sick.

I would think the curing of the bear would take care of the meat regarding parasites etc.

x2 fred! we used to do the same. but, ive never had a problem before either, so im not sure if thats really true or not

We used to wait for the first good frost to shoot rabbits, so they were safe. But we ate all the bear jerky an I don't think anyone got sick. It was pretty damn good!

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu