Becoming a hunting guide

oneazbowhunter said:
Oh yea, D16hunter don't let anybody talk you out of your dreams!!Go to work for an outfitter as a spotter/apprentice and in a few years you'll be guiding hunters on your own. I"ll get you a job here in AZ. Just PM me..
Ok thanks man that's awesome

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

oneazbowhunter said:
Hunting guides are not "in it for themselves" you don't know what your talking about hatchet1.. I am a guide and I work my F-ing butt off to see to it that every one my clients goes home successful. And all of my guide friends are just the same. Its a hell of a lot of work and rewarding at the same time. Yes some clients are buttholes and some aren't in shape for the hunt. I'd rather deal with the occasional butthead client than sit in a traffic jam any day!!! And I can tell you after pounding nails for 20+ years ill guide til I cant walk. I can assure you my clients kill more animals than you ever will!!!
hahahahahaha nice reply

When I was in high School I too dreamed of being a guide. I went in the Military and the years rolled on, then to college and some more years lost, got married had kids and some more years escaped me. One day I realized my dream and went out and worked for an outfitter for free. By then, however, I could call the most stubborn of elk, I got a good reputation in the area and worked for a couple more outfits. After a couple of years and saved enough money for a down payment on my own outfit, and the rest is history. Today we chase elk across the mountains in Montana. You wont get rich, but the life style is to be envied. Hearing bugling bulls as you lay your head down, the smell of cowboy coffee in the morning from the kitchen tent, clear streams, horses, and clients you become friends with for the rest of your lives. Your young son, you only get one go around, make the ride worth it. There are plenty of old men to wish they had done things a little different, you can be one, or you can look back and say it was a great ride, your choice. Money is nice, but it ain't everything.

Oh yea, D16hunter don't let anybody talk you out of your dreams!!Go to work for an outfitter as a spotter/apprentice and in a few years you'll be guiding hunters on your own. I"ll get you a job here in AZ. Just PM me..
Years later I still want to find a job as an apprentice guide/ spotter out west I wish I would have replied to this sooner I was just so caught up with school and life. Does anyone know of a guide looking for an apprentice/ spotter

IMG_1234.PNG Guides will want an apprentice who can increase the demand side of their business (clients) more than one who can increase the supply side (game). Figure out how best you can help a guide increase their clients and you will flourish.

Here is a posted role at Onx Maps in Montana. Do everything but knocking in their door to get a job like this an you will grow into a leader in the entire industry.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu