Beginner Gear Question

pma

Really?
Apr 6, 2016
Santa Clarita Valley
Hey guys, looking at putting in for a couple of tags this year - D11 and D7/8 to be a little more specific. Given that the Angeles Forest is filled with rattlers, I was thinking about picking up some snake boots. I would definitely like something waterproof. Any suggestions would be helpful. My local sporting goods stores (Valencia) don't have anything for me try to on, so am thinking about using Amazon/Cabela's to order a pair to save myself a trip to BassPro in Rancho. Thanks in advance, guys! ;)

Hey buddy your in my area. I'm near the 210 118 and 5 If your getting boots make the trip to bass pro. If your getting gators get the best. Yes they all get hot. I was with a guy in imperial valley hunting dove and he was terrified of snakes. He was sweating through everything his pants the gators. He was a very uncomfortable mess. But he was safe. I personally like snake boots but that's just me. Gators work very well also. Snake charmer knows his stuff. Fortunately he did such a good dog snake breaking my dog last year that my dog alerts me to snakes all the time as far as 50 yards out one time.

GSPman said:
Hey buddy your in my area. I'm near the 210 118 and 5 If your getting boots make the trip to bass pro. If your getting gators get the best. Yes they all get hot. I was with a guy in imperial valley hunting dove and he was terrified of snakes. He was sweating through everything his pants the gators. He was a very uncomfortable mess. But he was safe. I personally like snake boots but that's just me. Gators work very well also. Snake charmer knows his stuff. Fortunately he did such a good dog snake breaking my dog last year that my dog alerts me to snakes all the time as far as 50 yards out one time.

Thanks, GSP. I appreciate the advice. Do you shoot at OakTree?

I like Rattler brand gaiters......And they are waterproof......The only snake boots that I ever liked (fit my feet) were made by BPS and are carried at the Rancho Cucamonga store.....The biggest problem I had with them was they quit being waterproof after about 2 seasons.

.http://www.basspro.com/RedHead-Bayou-Waterproof-SideZip-Snake-Hunting-Boots-for-Men/product/1410250302101/

Yes I shoot at oak tree and that's where I've actually had the closest call on a snake. No dog with me the snake was on the step on station one. I came within 6 ft.

I have had the boots spring posted above. Good boots lasted a while but I prefer lace ups personally. For work every day I wear my 9" side zip lace up boots for 12-20hrs a day so I'm used to a nice tight fit. Buts that's just peraonal. That's why I say if your getting boots not gators make the trip to try them on.

GSPman said:
Yes I shoot at oak tree and that's where I've actually had the closest call on a snake. No dog with me the snake was on the step on station one. I came within 6 ft.

I have had the boots spring posted above. Good boots lasted a while but I prefer lace ups personally. For work every day I wear my 9" side zip lace up boots for 12-20hrs a day so I'm used to a nice tight fit. Buts that's just peraonal. That's why I say if your getting boots not gators make the trip to try them on.

I'm sold. A trip to Rancho is in order. Maybe, just to be EXTRA careful, I'll pick up some waterproof snake boots AND gaiters. :mad:

Any of you guys plan on scouting Angeles Forest during the months of May/June? If anybody wants a companion/mentee, I'd be more than happy to pick you up, drive, and buy breakfast and lunch. Just looking to pick up some pointers on the field. Thanks again for all of the advice.

ilovesprig said:
I like Rattler brand gaiters......And they are waterproof......The only snake boots that I ever liked (fit my feet) were made by BPS and are carried at the Rancho Cucamonga store.....The biggest problem I had with them was they quit being waterproof after about 2 seasons.

.http://www.basspro.com/RedHead-Bayou-Waterproof-SideZip-Snake-Hunting-Boots-for-Men/product/1410250302101/

Thanks, Sprig! I take it BPS stands for Bass Pro Shop? I didn't know they made their own shoes.

8) Didn't know RedHead was a BPS owned brand. Since you know your stuff, I'm gonna pick your brain a bit more if you don't mind! :)

I was actually looking at some RedHead clothing earlier today and it's just sitting in my online shopping cart. Specifically, I was looking at a 1/4 zip polyester shirt and their Stalker Lite pants. I might be totally off here, but was thinking that this should be adequate in CA (Los Angeles) for deer season... light clothing, shouldn't get too hot, etc. Although I'll go check these out in person, am curious if you have any experience with these lines and whether you have an opinion one way or another... links attached below.

http://www.basspro.com/RedHead-Stalker-Lite-1/4-Zip-Shirt-for-Men/product/14052110214921/?cmCat=CROSSSELL_THUMBNAIL

http://www.basspro.com/RedHead-Stalker-Lite-Pants-for-Men/product/14052006213922/?cmCat=CROSSSELL_PRODUCT_MTv2

Boy, you're asking the wrong guy about camo fancy clothing....... :D

I wear a Leafyflage suit top & bottom for just about everything, when it comes to movement sensitive game.....Tops are layerd with cotton t-shirt and some sort of hoodie.....If it's cold, I have polar fleece turtlenecks over t's and some sort of camo jacket.

I wear Dickey's Carpenter Loose Fit Jeans (brown & green)....About 24 bucks from Wal-Mart and are bullet proof.....If it's cold, I wear Under Armour Cold Gear under them.

ps......For waterfowl hunting, I do have really good bibs...... ;D

Attachments

• 118.JPG
    118.JPG
    722.5 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_6787.JPG
    IMG_6787.JPG
    622.7 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_9939.JPG
    IMG_9939.JPG
    638.9 KB · Views: 32
  • 038.JPG
    038.JPG
    830 KB · Views: 36
  • 010.JPG
    010.JPG
    401.9 KB · Views: 38
I have great optics (swaro binos, kowa 884, leica rf), learned late in life optics might rank first in gear. Good rifles, scopes and etc. Just got a Kuiu pack.

I have more camo than I will ever wear like most have my goto short sleeves, long sleeves, pullover, light jacket, heavy jacket. I prefer kings patterns but have it all. So with all this high dollar gear, unless it is raining, I hunt in carhartt double front Carpenter pants, $33. Tan, green, brown and black. Tough as nails, loosen up nice and blend with most camo. Good for cactus and scratches.

Remington1 said:
I have great optics (swaro binos, kowa 884, leica rf), learned late in life optics might rank first in gear. Good rifles, scopes and etc. Just got a Kuiu pack.

I have more camo than I will ever wear like most have my go to short sleeves, long sleeves, pullover, light jacket, heavy jacket. I prefer kings patterns but have it all. So with all this high dollar gear, unless it is raining, I hunt in carhartt double front Carpenter pants, $33. Tan, green, brown and black. Tough as nails, loosen up nice and blend with most camo. Good for cactus and scratches.

Nick,

I like your style......I too bought Swaro's (10x42 EL's) late in life......Best INVESTMENT I've made in the big game hunting arena.....In the waterfowl world, breathable waders are the way to go.....Well, unless your trying to lose weight..... ;)

ps.....King's Camo is a great pattern.

I'd get the gators over the boots.
Boots are your most important gear item if you can't hike cause your feet hurt your not hunting. For deer your likely to put in 3-10 miles per weekend so spend good money on your boots. Snakes are gone for the most part between halloween to St paddy so you don't need them all the time. I have the turtle skins and they are no hotter than my boots.

As for clothing Redhead not a fan it will last 2-3 years then start to breakdown, Cabelas a little better. It's all about layers, synthetic fabrics and stay away from cotton once it's wet it takes forever to dry.
I'm a Sitka fan....buy once cry once.....I still have their clothes from over 10 years ago and it has no rips cuts or tears if it does happen they fix it for free can't beat that. Now for deer hunting yep it will be warm but it does get cold 29 low at sunrise is not uncommon up high.
Kuiu also has a good line of clothing holds up well and they are a hunter driven company. I feel Sitka holds up better from what I've seen in deer camp. But Kuiu is always providing the best product and they have a warranty similar to Sitka.

MJB said:
I'd get the gators over the boots.
Boots are your most important gear item if you can't hike cause your feet hurt your not hunting. For deer your likely to put in 3-10 miles per weekend so spend good money on your boots. Snakes are gone for the most part between halloween to St paddy so you don't need them all the time. I have the turtle skins and they are no hotter than my boots.

As for clothing Redhead not a fan it will last 2-3 years then start to breakdown, Cabelas a little better. It's all about layers, synthetic fabrics and stay away from cotton once it's wet it takes forever to dry.
I'm a Sitka fan....buy once cry once.....I still have their clothes from over 10 years ago and it has no rips cuts or tears if it does happen they fix it for free can't beat that. Now for deer hunting yep it will be warm but it does get cold 29 low at sunrise is not uncommon up high.
Kuiu also has a good line of clothing holds up well and they are a hunter driven company. I feel Sitka holds up better from what I've seen in deer camp. But Kuiu is always providing the best product and they have a warranty similar to Sitka.

Damn expensive! Checked out Sitka's website. Is it really necessary to have 4 levels of layers? They recommend next to skin, insulation, outer layer, and waterproof layer. We live in SoCal, not Alaska!

Yep it ain't cheap

But.......it's fit, function & durability is like no other. Never a sweat issue everything fits an athletic body type perfect. It moves with you pockets that make sense. Zippers & snaps that are silent. Tons of options for warmth & cool down, less stink and the stuff last forever but doesn't shrink.

At least try some stuff on buy the pants and give it a try

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu