Best nonlead .22lr for bunnys

brisby

Feb 18, 2023
Grandson wants to go jackrabbit hunting with his .22lr

What's the best nonlead option for .22lr and availability..?

Thanks in advance

Can't find cci anywhere but found this new Norma eco speed green and getting them shipped. Order up

Nice, my buddy has a Avenger pcp in 22, I may have to get us a couple...☺️

There's a lot of break barrel pellet guns that will still do the job on rabbits and don't cost much...I do like not having to the break barrel and having 8 shots.... ;)

The old Beeman GS1000 has always been good....:blush:

rabbit rabbit.JPG

Reactions: YETI and brisby
Steve, can you hunt with a pellet gun in places that are shotgun only..?
Kinda hard to find any information about where to hunt with pellet guns

This is right from the Cal Fish and Game:

Q: Can I use a big-bore air rifle to hunt big game like wild pigs, deer and bears in California?

A: No, big-bore air rifles cannot be used for the take of big game species or migratory game birds. However, they can be used to take small game mammals and resident game birds.

The allowable “methods of take” for big game animals can be found in California Code of Regulations (CCR), Title 14, section 353(opens in new tab). Air guns are not listed as an allowable method of take.

Note that air rifles are not considered “firearms” in California. Pre-charged pneumatics (PCP) big-bore air rifles use compressed air as a propellant to fire pellets.

So, you can hunt rabbits, quail, pheasants [?], and perhaps other species anywhere it is legal to hunt them. And since they aren't firearms, you can use lead pellets. I would like clarification on whether I can hunt quail and pheasant with my pellet rifle. According to the above, I can, but I'm suspicious of that. Anyone know for sure?

I would check the regs for the particular area for legal means of take...In California, pellet guns are not considered a firearm...You have to check with each jurisdiction though.

The fish and game code 3004 does not mention pellet guns, but are considered a deadly weapon now...AB 1506 added pellet guns a couple years back.

(a) It is unlawful for a person, other than the owner, person in possession of the premises, or a person having the express permission of the owner or person in possession of the premises, while within 150 yards of an occupied dwelling house, residence, or other building, or within 150 yards of a barn or other outbuilding used in connection with an occupied dwelling house, residence, or other building, to either hunt or discharge a firearm or other deadly weapon while hunting. The 150-yard area is a "safety zone."(b) It is unlawful for a person to intentionally discharge a firearm or release an arrow or crossbow bolt over or across a public road or other established way open to the public in an unsafe and reckless manner.
Ca. Fish and Game Code § 3004

AB 1506, OIS Investigation Procedural Guidelines: A “deadly weapon” includes, but is not limited to, any loaded weapon from which a shot, readily capable of producing death or other serious physical injury, may be discharged, or a switchblade knife, pilum, ballistic knife, metal knuckle knife, dagger, billy, blackjack, plastic knuckles, or metal knuckles. (Gov. Code, § 12525.3, subd. (a)(1).)All firearms, and BB/pellet guns, even if unloaded or inoperable, are deadly weapons. Objects that have a legitimate non-weapon purpose are considered deadly weapons only when, based on all the circumstances, they are used in a manner likely to produce death or great bodily injury. The following are examples of objects that have been considered a deadly weapon when used in that manner: knives, box cutters, screwdrivers, bottles, chains, automobiles, rocks, razorblades, baseball bats, and iron bars. Replica firearms (including Airsoft guns) are not considered deadly weapons unless they are used in some particular manner likely to produce death or great bodily injury (e.g., as a bludgeon).Use of Deadly Weapon In determining whether an OIS qualifies as an AB 1506 event, the evaluation process is not to be based solely on the mere possession of a “deadly weapon” or other object (e.g., a visible sheathed knife), but must also consider whether the weapon was “used in a manner likely to produce death or great bodily injury” at the time of the shooting. The totality of circumstances of an incident are considered in making such a determination.

Reactions: YETI and brisby
We use CCI copper ammo in our 22s when we're hunting. Works great.

I also have a 22 pellet gun (break barrel) that has been very effective.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu