Best varmint long range cartridge in 224 caliber?

doccherry

May 7, 2021
I just sold my .223 and have several hundred Barnes and other non-lead bullets in 224 caliber. Looking for a more powerful long range cartridge. I reload everything. Thinking of f 22-250. Want a bolt action rifle. Any suggestions on something better than the 22-250? Thanks.

Theres not a 224 caliber cartridge on earth that can compete with the mighty 243 Winchester. I knew a ground squirrel who would agree.

I shoot a Ruger Number 1 in 220 swift because I was a velocity advocate in my youth but if I had it to do over again it would be the 22-250. I also have a model 700 in 222 which has served me well over the years. I can't think of a better 22 caliber long range varmint cartridge than the 22-250. 6 mm's are great as well and work better at extended ranges because of bullet weight but that's another conversation.

I just sold my .223 and have several hundred Barnes and other non-lead bullets in 224 caliber. Looking for a more powerful long range cartridge. I reload everything. Thinking of f 22-250. Want a bolt action rifle. Any suggestions on something better than the 22-250? Thanks.

I feel the .243 is a little much for even prairie dogs.......;)

.058.JPG

So are you saying my (borrowed) 300 win. mag. would be a bit much for ground squirrels?

Sell the components and buy a 204!
Barnes VG at 225yds for yotes unless you go lead then 300yds.
Ground squirrels 350yds after that it has no energy.
Loud, but no kick I can watch the squirrel in my scope disappear into thin air.

22 Creedmore

damn you 6mm thread thieves... stay on topic

ok

220redline aka 22saum, short action ultramag case necked down to 22. Take your wimp of a 22-250 and go home as the mighty saum spits out 75gr bullets at like 4k opening a worm hole to a alternate reality and killing us all.

barrel life should be in the 2 or 3 shots before you have put a new tube on but who is counting?

You can't get much better than a 22-250 in a .224 offering for long-range "work" if you stay with the .224 bullets. The only drawbacks with the 22-250 are that throat life is shorter than others and powder use is more than others. That said, it will take a lot of ammo to burn out the throat and powder usage just a bit higher than some others in a .224. As someone up above said, you might consider the 22 Creedmoor. It has been described as a 22-250 Improved. There are others out there, but you specifically asked abut long range shooting with a .224.

Hard to beat a .223 Rem. Low recoil and good to go on squirrels through yotes. And accurate as well. Some have power some have less. The .223 is just right.

Reactions: TRICER
My first rifle was and still is a .222 Remington model 700 circa 1974 with a Bushnell 3-9. Much hailed in the benchrest world when it came to light way back when.... I still own and shoot it. Next one I bought was and still own is a Ruger #1 single shot in .220 Swift with a Leupold 6.5 to 20 way back in 1979. Both shoot the eyes out of squirrels at whetever range I care to shoot them at. Also own some .223's as well. BTW.17HMR gets it done at "200 and under.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu