Best Waterfowl Gun

Oct 11, 2014
First of all I am not sure where to post this so mods please feel free to move it.

So I am looking to get a shotgun for waterfowl and am wondering which would be "best" for me. I know the big thing is really personal preference, but let me tell you what I am looking for. I don't want a really nice gun, since it is going to take a lot of abuse and may even take an accidental swim or be exposed to rain. I'm thinking no wood stocks, or at least replacing them, and am not sure how the rest should be setup like bluing or what other materials are wise.

Also I reload and hate how the hulls fly 6ft away from my semis in the duck blinds and are unretrievable so am thinking a pump would be best, or maybe something with a pin that deflects down? Thoughts on this?

Also, is it generally better to have a longer barrel, and does it need to shoot higher than 2 3/4 since there is so much pass shooting at 40 yards?

Interchangeable chokes would be great, and I really don't want to break the bank. Anybody have any recommendations or advice? Thanks.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

Don't really have a "best" recommendation for you but as far as being able to retrieve the shells a lot of pump guns throw them pretty far too. One solution...or maybe two solutions would be more correct, for that would be a Browning BPS or an Ithaca 37. Both of these pump guns eject the shells out the bottom, straight down.

Rem 870 mag , beat it up, drop it in the water, for get to wash her and she will still kill ducks

I've had a bunch of 870s since I started hunting 30 years ago. I even keep one as a backup now so I'm a fan. The last few years I've got a handful of new hunters into the sport and they have all bought an 870 on my advice. Every one of them has been a POS. They changed factories or how they make them. I don't know if the 887 is any better or what a would be a good pump. I hear of issues with Novas also. As far as the shells being ejected from the semi they are easy to find, I pick them all up even though I don't reload.

I am not sure when you would have unretreivable shells. We hunt with semis and pumps regularly and leave no trace.

On the public places we freelance we like it to look like no one has been there. I'm still figuring out a way to get rid of my boot prints in the mud.

IMHO get a gun that at a minimum shoots 3". More pellets for takedown because crippled birds suck. Now I know that pattern density, choke, how much you lead the bird, etc. all play into this, but having more pellets will help.

I use my gear no matter what I pay for it. So I would buy the best gun you can afford that is proven. A lot of guys hunt the A5, SBEII, etc for good reason. Seeing some of the lesser brands jam regularly, only shoot certain shells gets old after awhile.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

The shells eject 6ft away into the reeds and tall grass at lots of the blinds, I always try to pick them up everywhere no matter what.

Also, nicapopolis, what is A5 and SBE2

Take a look at the Stoeger M3500 & M3000. I have a M3500 and I haven't had a single problem with it in the field. Another to look at is the Franchi, or Weatherby SA-08. These are all budget minded semi-auto that work great.

Reactions: Sigalert2012
Buy used SBE1 in camo 28 is not needed but it helps plus it a great Turkey gun. If I was to also do upland go with the 26......factory mod choke and hit them in the head.

Pump is not the best but if that's all your budget can afford you'll be fine but you will want to upgrade later. It's hard to find a good duck gun now with the season going but come February their should be lots to choose from.

Good luck!

Thanks for all the replies, they have steered me to a good starting point. I had a chance to try a versamax and a sbe2, both of which shot great and have good features, they are just expensive. I am gonna see if I can find a stoeger or Beretta next. The browning and Ithaca both seem to be hard to find, and I have read many mixed reviews on the cheaper pumps. Maybe it's better to spend the extra amount on the more high end models to ensure reliability.

I agree with the Remington quality falling off, I also have a Stoeger 3500 and it has been flawless. I also have a Beretta 390 and it is probably my favorite scattergun. Great value if you can find a used one. If your interested, I can give you the number for a Winchester Super X3 new in box synthetic stock for $800. Orange County I believe, but can be shipped through an FFL.

I love my moss erg 500. I beat the snot out of it and it is still yet to jam 1,000's of rounds have gone through that gun and it is always reliable. I have an 870 as well but I don't think the 870 is as reliable as the 500. I spray painted my 500 with camo paint mostly to cover the salt cedar rust can't go wrong with a 500.

Whatever you get make sure it can shoot 3.5" shells. I have a Benelli Nova 12G in 28" that is chambered from 2 3/4 - 3.5". There are some problems with surface rust and the Nova series so research what has come of that recently if you go that route. One trip to the sea and my entire Nova turned red/brown by the time I got home. It is a known problem with the black finish so mine is wrapped it camo tape...problem solved, lol. It's an inexpensive shotgun that does the job just fine and there is a factory camo version that can handle the salt.

Same here. No complaints with Mossberg 500, cheaper than dirt. So I Don,t worry about damage.So far no issues and it has been reliable. Here's the best part, made in USA.

Thanks for the advice guys, I found a killer deal on a like new versamax and after shooting one decided to go with it. Just gotta wait for it to be freed now. Thanks for the offer on the super x Hunt n dogs, I just think they are to nice for the sea and such. Mine gets way too abused on duck hunts.

Shotgun is getting freed on Wednesday, can't wait! Now all I have to do is find a barrel for it. Anybody have any suggestions on where I might be able to find one, or at least where the best deal on a new one would be? (It is a versamax) thx

Sent from my JEDI SPECIAL TRAINED BRAIN using THE FORCE.

Find a barrel? It didn't come with one?

MasterBlaster66T said:
Shotgun is getting freed on Wednesday, can't wait! Now all I have to do is find a barrel for it. Anybody have any suggestions on where I might be able to find one, or at least where the best deal on a new one would be? (It is a versamax) thx

Sent from my JEDI SPECIAL TRAINED BRAIN using THE FORCE.

on line google it.

Ghost

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu