Better scenery vs. more chance of turkey?

DanSanDiego

Venison for Thanksgiving 2016
Sep 18, 2014
I've realized this year that the scenery means a lot to me when I hunt. So now when I plan my spots I think "better scenery vs. more chance of game"

In the morning I'll make that decision again (my 3rd time out this Turkey season) and later in the day I'll let you know how it worked out.

Wow! If I want scenery I go to the beach. If I get up and go hunting Its always gonna be to the place where I have the best chance to get it done. But that's just me. :-[

Invisible man said:
Wow! If I want scenery I go to the beach. If I get up and go hunting Its always gonna be to the place where I have the best chance to get it done. But that's just me. :-[
Well Doug from your posts it seems to me you generally have a great view of wildlife looking out from your spot :)

Bonejour said:
Invisible man said:
Well Doug from your posts it seems to me you generally have a great view of wildlife looking out from your spot :)
I am very fortunate to have some great hunting spots. But the quality of ones spot has nothing to do with the topic. If my very best spot is not available then I go to my next best spot, and so on, and so on, and so on.

So I got up and decided on the spot with a better likelihood of turkey rather than the one with better scenery. I didn't see or hear any turkey unfortunately.
Next time I'll choose the spot with more water. A local at my spot today said that the turkeys leave when the water dries up. There weren't even any turkeys on the private land there - and I've never had that happen (I can't hunt the private land there but I see the turkeys on it every time I drive in). Maybe the turkey have moved on to Summer grounds?

I think that I made a left at the Quail sign when I should have gone straight up the mountain for Turkey.

Your friend is correct. No water no turkeys. Go on Google Earth images are current I think they are from December and look on there find the closest water source to that spot where there were turkeys . But they won't stay in an area that doesn't have the right stuff for them so find a spot on Google Earth that has the right habitat. roosting trees maybe a creek maybe just a watering hole but they generally like to roost close to water,some tall dead tree wooded area side of a hill find the right stuff the birds probably move to that spot.good luck.

Heres some nice scenery that held turkeys in the past and has water, didnt hear or see any turkeys all day. The highlight was bumping a longtail on the trail right at sunrise and
watching a nice bobcat hunt squirrels for 30 minutes, even the huge herds of turkeys in Puama Valley have deminished,

Attachments

• panoramic.jpg
    panoramic.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 17

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu