BF Tuna in rough waters.

Wildgame

Feb 11, 2019
I took the boat yesterday afternoon.
The forecast showed windy and a building swell but we went out anyways. I figured, we either score or turn around due to weather.
Before getting to the spot I spotted a small boil and it was on.
Very difficult diving conditions but paid off.
I left at 1:30 and got back at 7:30. I love short Tuna trips.

Attachments

• IMG_1618.jpg
    IMG_1618.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 39
  • 20210730_210340.jpg
    20210730_210340.jpg
    208.2 KB · Views: 38
  • 20210730_211752.jpg
    20210730_211752.jpg
    187.2 KB · Views: 33
  • imagejpeg_0(1).jpg
    imagejpeg_0(1).jpg
    247.4 KB · Views: 38
I don't scuba and spear. But it would be impossible to spear a tuna while scuba anyway.
Freediving only for me and for most spearos.
You need specialized gear for spearing Tuna.
No one learns spearfishing chasing Tuna.
You start on the shallow reefs and shoot bass, sheepshead and perch in 15 to 20' of water. Then you move to the kelp beds and a kayak gives you a lot of opportunity in 20 to 50'.
If you want a speargun to get started the one name you can look in to is Rob Allen Spearguns the best value and most reliable guns I know. A 100 cm or 110..to start.
White sea bass are found in the kelp beds, I shot a 70lb out of a local kelp bed. You need to learn how to handle it, they wrap deep sometimes.
Lots to learn. Go to spearboard.com and research.

wildgame thanks for the reply, I use to skin dive when I was a kid, the local jetty's , bay and down in baja, tuna is out of my experience, looking at the local kelp beds, for now.

That's bad ass shit right there! Congrats!

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu