Big Game cartridges - If you had to pick one and hunt big game what would it be?

Thinking about sending in the bolt to have it installed so I can be as cool as you guys. I gotta keep up!

O.K. first time on this part of the site, do we really want to start this conversation? This will go on till we're all dead. BTW....7stw w/ Berger vld's or 30-378 with a good 200 grnr for the long stuff ( along with the appropriately built and sorted out rifle and optics) otherwise I like the 257 Weatherby or 7mag built on a push feed action with all the reasonable accoutrement's.

I'm working on a 257 right now for the folks at the ranch we hunt in New Mexico. K.C.'s girlfriend was given one by her grandfather, it's a Japanese Weatherby that has seen some use but is in pretty good shape, the problem was when they went to buy ammo for it they got a major dose of sticker shock ($60 for a box of twenty) They bought one and shot it up in about twenty minutes getting it sighted in. I told them I'd be glad work up an all round load for them gratis if they would cover the component cost. I know you going to question my bullet choice NBK but I'm going to start with a Nosler 115, the reason I've chosen the Nosler is because I want the hand grenade effect of the lead in the front half of the bullet as it should make for some spectacular kills with the shock effect of the bullet when it is driven at the ultra velocities the Weatheby is capable of.

Yep - I question it. All of the new copper bullets expand and explode with incredible hydrostatic shock. You sacrifice almost half of the ballistic co-efficiency due to the design of the partition bullet. Its also less accurate and you need every edge you can muster up regarding accuracy when shooting a Weatherby.

If they were shooting Coyotes, I would say go will the Ballistic Tip or SST all the way, but big game, well - copper my friend - copper.

These are my express opinions derived from my experiences - I know less than most and half as much as some!

I knew you 'd say that! yea I hear ya but what I.m looking for is the fragmentation of the front end of the bullet something you dont get with solid construction bullets unless you are very close to the target and then its only the petals that let go, also the rifle and the owner wont be shooting at extreme distances so the b.c. and s.d. don't concern me terribly. Having taken a few animals over the years with my 25-06 using that bullet I'm impressed with the damage thay inflict so my feeling is with a bit more velocity behind in the Weatherby it should produce some spectacular drop in their tracks shots if the bullet is placed well and to top it off that was Roy Weatherby's favorite cartridge and bullet. I guess you could say its old school but its proven!

I wont argue there - its a good bullet. It's just no where near as good as the Barnes TTSX. The wound channels from the X are no less than extreme...and they work spectacular on thin skinned and heavy boned mammals at all ranges.

Dude - I am stoked you're on the forum. Looking forward to some great conversations and debates. You rock Fred!

I have allways been a fan of Nosler Ballistic tips and Partitions.That being said lately I have been switching over to the TTSX.Getting great groups and the one Antelope that I shot dropped like it had been hit with two tons of energy,(it did) ha ha.
The other reason for changing is because of California's lead free laws,it wont be long and the whole state will be lead free and other states will follow.Might as well start switching now.

Personally, I've never given much thought to the one gun scenario before as I wouldn't shoot a yote with a 338 and I wouldn't shoot a griz with a 243 so its hard to think in those term.

For the sake of this discussion I would lean towards the 338 or the 300 WM with a Leupold VX-3 4x12. Ammo wise its hard to beat Federals with the Nosler partician round.

LungPopper is a one gun guy! Hey Darryl would you shoot a coyote with your .338?

NBK said:
LungPopper is a one gun guy! He Darryl would you shoot a coyote with your .338?

For coyotes I use a 22-250 with 50 gr ballistic tips most of the time.I also have a bunch of 53 gr TSX loaded up.Anything bigger than a coyote I use the 338.
Took the 338 to Texas killed two whitetail one shot each and four javalina with three shots.
I think the 22-250 would have been better for the javalina but they all dropped were they stood.

I was hunting with Fred (Snake Charmer) and saw him kill 2-3 pigs with one shot out of his .338. I don't remember whether it was 2 or 3. Stoned em' non the less.

Not a big fan of muzzle brakes, I never feel recoil when I'm on an animal and everyone around the muzzle braked shooter gets pummeled with the concussion and the noise. The one gun thing doesnt work for me either its sort of like deciding you only like one kind of candy. BTW it was two pigs with one shot and it was intentional. (I couldnt resist as they were standing side by side and broadside to me)

Try the Barnes varmint grenades for the small stuff it makes for spectacular kills.

Huge fan of the 257wbymag..its done everything i can imagine..she's my baby...not a huge fan of copper..have had way to many clients loose game since the mandate went in a few years back, ..none the less..we are still forced to shoot it where we hunt, so we deal with it..if you put it in the sweet spot every time{which most hunters dont} you"ll be allright..otherwise get out the masai trackers...if i had one bullet to run with ..it would be a nosler partion..that being said..if you gotta shoot it..shoot the barnes with out the ballistic tip....those e-tips from winchester suck balls...my 2 cents

** this post is strickly for large mammals...those little barnes grandes for varmits are the shizzle!!**

The .257 Weatherby is an amazing cartridge...and it was one of Roys favorites. I know a few folks who use it on elk every year with amazing results.

Can't argue with how well the Nosler Partition works (BC isn't so good). The design of the bullet has resulted in a lot of dead stuff over the years. Snake Charmer has used a 25-06 and put a heck of a lot of game to sleep with that old bullet. The tip goes off like a grenade and the partitioned rear drive through the game. Probably the best lead core bullet ever developed for big game - ever!

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu