Big Game Pack Guide Recommendations

JasonK

Feb 15, 2018
Hi yall,

Lookin for guide recommendations Kern area or Eastern Sierras. I reside in Orange County and want to do a pack trip into some country. I'd prefer to have options like semi-guided, fully guided, drop off and pick up that way my friends and I can decide which approach we'd like to go with.

Thanks,
Jason

Good question. Deer D9, D10, D8, D7 if I can overlap bear I will same zones.
D9/d10 are my backyard I’m going to say all those units are going to be tough to find a guide / outfitter that will take you because of the low success.

Kika might do it. I know they’ve done some hunts in X10. I would think they’d do D7/8 for sure.

Apply for x10 as your first choice and gain some options for the guide route.

Just use a packer and DIY for the rest?
Yes I would do a pack in and pack out DIY the rest I just want to get into some country. Off the roads a little bit. I need to try something different.

Those roads can be rewarding..
So I've heard and I've tried!!! Last fall my cousin and I hunted the boarder of D8 and X10 for deer / bear for 5 days and didn't see any bucks. We did everything from road hunt, sit and glass and slow hiked along game trails. There were two people who harvested while we were there but that area hadn't been hunted in 2 years due to forest fires so I would've figured we would've seen a ton of animal activity. Nothing.

We are rookies though. There were fresh bear tracks one of the mornings I kick myself for not just following that. Couldn't have gone any worse didn't harvest anything.

That area is one of those you have to learn well, it has a low harvest rate. Deer and bear are there one just has to learn where. Takes lots of scouting that zone

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu