Big game questions

Baldkrash

Aug 4, 2013
This will be the first year I get a deer tag and maybe a Pig tag.
I have some questions that some may think are dumb, but I need to ask anyway as it is not clear on anything I find online.

1. Can I leave the parts of a pig I don't want out in the field ( head, feet, gut pile etc)

2. In the Big Game digest, for deer, it states that we must keep the tag attached for 15 days after the season closes. Does that mean I need to keep the tag attached to the antlers for that whole period? I don't plan on mounting any, I just want the meat.

3. What do you do with coyote carcasses? I'm not going to eat it, but I may skin it to,either sell or use later.
Any insight would be appreciated.

i'll try and answer a few of these, i'm sure the guys with more info can fix me answers..

1. there is a certain percent you can leave out in the field before its called "waste of game" I believe.
2. Yes, I kept me tag attached to antlers the whole time while in freezer before doing a euro mount on it, now the tag is fixed behind the euro frame I made.
3. If the pelt is good I keep it and the rest will feed the buzzards and desert critters.

good luck

bk,

There are no dumb questions and all these are legit concerns for many......

1....Yes, you can leave the parts that you mentioned...Many guys bone out their animals on the spot...I'm still a gut and drag guy.....Nothing goes to waste in the field.

2....Yes, by law you're supposed to leave attached. Don't know anyone that has ever been called out on this at their home.

3....Again, nothing goes to waste in the field....Pelts and tails are nice to have.

I was wondering about 1 and 2 also. Good questions. Glad you asked before I did. As far as coyotes, I'm with sprig. Just take the fur and tail and leave the rest

The two parts of the dfg code everyone should read. Yes you need to keep the skull cap of a doe. Ask sluester about that one.

§708.5. Deer Tagging and Reporting Requirements.

(a) Upon the killing of any deer the tag holder shall immediately fill out all portions of the tag including the report card completely, legibly, and permanently, and cut out or punch out and completely remove notches or punch holes for the month and date of the kill .The deer license tag shall be attached to the antlers of an antlered deer or to the ear of any other deer and kept attached during the open season and for 15 days thereafter. Except as otherwise provided, possession of any untagged deer shall be a violation. (Refer to Fish and Game Code, Section 4336).

§708.7. Deer Head Retention Requirements and Production Upon Demand.
Any person taking any deer in this state shall retain in their possession during the open season thereon and for 15 days thereafter, that portion of the head which in adult males normally bears the antlers, and shall produce the designated portion of the head upon the demand of any officer authorized to enforce the provisions of this regulation (refer to Fish and Game Code, Section 4302).

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu