big game

sherpa

Nov 21, 2011
Flynn Springs
Gopher season opened today with a successful hunt at the Shadow Mt. archery range (members only) and a few 3D also taken, and a arrow or 2 lost, maybe pic to follow of the pending new record.

The pic was mistakenly placed in the varmint section. At a first glance that gopher looks huge and may qualify for big game. Then I remembered that using LP for the scale to determine size would make most gophers look huge.

The gopher was huge and possibly a P&Y record. Not sure we will have to wait for the skull to dry.

Random your really going to have to work on your self control. I have never seen anybody start shaking like that when they heard the words (RECORD BOOK GOPHER). I hated to leave you behind, but I was afraid you would jeopardize our stalk.
I think you may need counseling.

You hated to leave me behind? No worries brother, we both knew you were the only one small enough to chase that gopher down his hole. My only concern was for your safety with the possibility of cave ins and such. Also I thought that hawk flying over head might take off with you if you made it out. My excitement was due to you making it out safely.

The hole was huge, even your swollen head could have fit in there. But there was no way we could have let you any where near that hole. With all your trembling going on it felt like small aftershocks.
I can understand your frustration after being left behind. Next time we will leave you a few toys to play with to keep your mind off of being alone.

Hmmm, I think we need to come up with a friendly competition between you two. My $$ is on LP to win a foot race to the 110 yard block target.

As for the trophy gopher, they don't make forms big enough. Would probably need a badger form to mount that thing!

Attachments

• LP's trophy gopher.jpg
    LP's trophy gopher.jpg
    368.4 KB · Views: 131
Breacher said:
Hmmm, I think we need to come up with a friendly competition between you two. My $$ is on LP to win a foot race to the 110 yard block target.
How much? I'd throw a c note at that race. Not to belittle LP ( pun intended) but I have a much longer stride.

Breacher said:

As for the trophy gopher, they don't make forms big enough. Would probably need a badger form to mount that thing!

the 110 yard block is now the sheep that we shoot twice once up and once down, it was replaced with the deer that was under the oak trees that we shoot from behind the bridge

Breacher said:

Hey Breacher I think Random would probably handle the stiff arm a little better than Web1 handled it.
Thanks for posting the pic. I have been telling people about this MONSTER, but without pics its all BS.

Might have to run a front page story on this "Once in a Lifetime Gopher"!

Strong work Lungpopper!

Ok enough teasing I just pulled the gopher skull out of my dermestid beetle colony for a quick green score. This skull green scored 5 3/8" and even accounting for 10% loss it will beat the current P&Y record by almost two inches. LP your going to have to take this to an official scorer to get your picture in the book..

038fda6101cf06b5f57767069a9d8fb1.jpg

Well done sir....

Hat's off Lungpopper. That is a world record if I have ever seen one!

Thanks Random,
I knew this Gopher was a giant but I had no idea it would shatter the old record by that much.
Anybody know of a local P&Y measurer? Soon as this Gopher dries out I'm getting in the record book.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu