Binoculars or spotting scope

Danny Sanchez Jr

Nov 29, 2016
I have a pair of 10x50 bino's. Should I invest in a spotting scope as well? Trying to find out what works best for glassing

Realistically if you're hunting in the west it's best to own both, although you may not pack both for every hunt. My experience has been: binos find the animal, spotting scope confirms if it's a shooter.

/edit
and a tripod if you don't own one.

Danny,

Don't know what king of binos you have, but you'll use your binos 10x more than a spotting scope....Your 10X50's are probably pretty heavy....I'd invest in some quality 10x42's....Back-up binos is always a good thing as well.....2 cents

Reactions: JakeSCH
I would say it depends on your 10x50's. If you have a high end pair of swaro's or razor HD's, I would go get a spotter but if you have some cheaper bino's then it is probably worth upgrading them first. Quality glass outperforms magnification.

I can see way more detail with my 9x45's than my buddies 12x50's which can make a significant difference.

Reactions: ilovesprig
I would say it depends on your 10x50's. If you have a high end pair of swaro's or razor HD's, I would go get a spotter but if you have some cheaper bino's then it is probably worth upgrading them first. Quality glass outperforms magnification.
Seconded. I only buy high quality glass so I didn't even think about that aspect.

Both if you want to fill the the freezer. I have had the opportunity to hunt many high and low quality venues throughout the years. If you just want meat bino's are good for the most part to get it done but I do would not rely on that at all. I use bino's to find and spotter's to decide what to go after.

If you can only have one the obvious answer is a pair of good binos 1st. 2nd you want a good tri pod. Spotting scopes are great but good binos and a tripod need to be your first purchase. You will find more deer with a tri-pod no doubt in my mind.

John you got a pair???

Used a demo set for the greater part of last season. There is nothing, absolutely nothing in the same class weight wise. Game changer Brandon...

The Kowa Fluorite Bino's weigh 16 lbs and are difficult to use. The BTX is simply amazing! I will have a set with the 95mm objective soon!

Reactions: stikbrandon

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu