Blind or no blind

Papadeuce

Aug 27, 2018
Carlsbad
Hey all,

I have access to some private this year for the first time and want to make the most of it. Problem is, owner doesn’t want guns, only bows. I’m cool with that but it feels like it’s going to severely limit my options on how to hunt these turkeys.

So my question is this... if you were to hunt an area with some elevation changes, a drainage on it that could hold water and offers plenty of tree cover for the birds, would you use a blind and some decoys as your first option? I know that’s not much to go on and every situation is obviously very different but I’m trying to bag my first bird in a damn tough way, lol.

Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

If you shoot a tom let me know what arrowhead you used. I’m going to try and get permission on some private ponds for ducks next year that would be in a bow only area.

I would say, decoys & a blind are imperative

ok, I have the decoys already so it looks like it’s time to snag a blind! Any recommendations on a two person? I’m shooting a compound and my buddy a recurve. Guessing taller for that reason?

Should I be worried about putting a blind out and leaving it for a few days rather than just bringing it the first morning of my hunt? Not worried about people, more birds being spooked by something new.
Or... am I way over thinking this? Hahaha

Are you and your buddy both sitting in the same blind? My 2-person blind is just big enough for me to maneuver around with my compound bow. I’m not sure I could shoot my recurve out of it. And I’m not a big dude. Food for thought, you may want a 3-person blind.

Reactions: Papadeuce
Are you and your buddy both sitting in the same blind? My 2-person blind is just big enough for me to maneuver around with my compound bow. I’m not sure I could shoot my recurve out of it. And I’m not a big dude. Food for thought, you may want a 3-person blind.
It’s a 70”x70” and 80” tall. No idea how that will work with two as I’ve never hunted a blind. Think we’ll both sit in there but I really want to get him on a bird more than anything so I may not have my bow at the ready really.

Last edited:
Reactions: krist003
Scout the property and see if there's any pattern to them then make your call.
Bow is a little harder with multiple birds around but it can be done with or without a store bought blind.

Patience wins the game

Reactions: Papadeuce
Should I be worried about putting a blind out and leaving it for a few days rather than just bringing it the first morning of my hunt? Not worried about people, more birds being spooked by something new.
Or... am I way over thinking this? Hahaha

Turkeys don't seem to mind new objects like deer...Decoys are the great equalizer for them.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu