Block your stank!

Meh. At least with whitetail I noticed no difference at all going through crazy routine vs. not even showering. I think the whole scent removal products are a hoax. Wind on your face is what matters. This onetime I was trying to approach a buck with my bow and while I was standing, with wind on my face, at about 70 yards, he got spooked. Why? thermals... it is all about the wind. It was muzzleloading season. The nice Vermont buck ran away from me to the next property and I heard a blast. Some old man was sitting on a blind next to his house that morning, it was his first and only hunt of the year. He got the buck. It was probably my 15th or so hunt of the year, no deer for me. I have the best luck, lol.

Oh also, I noticed their hearing is ridiculously good. At least for whitetail, I have 0 experience with california deer. Stalking a whitetail in high pressure hunting lands is almost impossible.

Last edited:
Reactions: Hunt2live
Meh. At least with whitetail I noticed no difference at all going through crazy routine vs. not even showering. I think the whole scent removal products are a hoax. Wind on your face is what matters. This onetime I was trying to approach a buck with my bow and while I was standing, with wind on my face, at about 70 yards, he got spooked. Why? thermals... it is all about the wind. It was muzzleloading season. The nice Vermont buck ran away from me to the next property and I heard a blast. Some old man was sitting on a blind next to his house that morning, it was his first and only hunt of the year. He got the buck. It was probably my 15th or so hunt of the year, no deer for me. I have the best luck, lol.

Oh also, I noticed their hearing is ridiculously good. At least for whitetail, I have 0 experience with california deer. Stalking a whitetail in high pressure hunting lands is almost impossible.
Did you read the article I posted.
It was scientificly proven it does work. Read the article.

So just give it a try and see what results I get. But other wise still play the wind as much as possible. No need to get hostile. I figured people would have different results. Just curious to know how different. Or if most had similar results.

It is a proven fact that you have to play the wind there is no question about that. And that is well proven.
As I stated before a hunter uses all tools to enhance chances when a hunter has to get close.
It is also proven fact stomping around leaves scent every where.
And will change deer behavior.

The more hunter pressure will cause change in deer behavior.
Using scent control is a personal choice.
You can choose to use it or not.
I do

Reactions: Dawnandusk
Did you read the article I posted.
It was scientificly proven it does work. Read the article.

Interesting, yeah I've read articles before suggesting scientific proof of it working. However, there are others showing that it doesn't make a difference. There are way too many variables and very hard to do controlled experiments to show it actually makes a difference when hunting. I actually read part of the research paper, not the article, and it states the following:

" So, after collecting the body odor samples, Dissanayake recruited the help of a mathematician to tailor a data-crunching program for their needs. Based on his analysis of the subjects' hundreds of VOCs, Dissanayake figured out that the sprays worked by greatly reducing the levels of 29 key compounds, either by killing the responsible bacteria, binding to the chemicals or converting them into less volatile compounds. To further narrow down the list, the next research step would entail seeing how deer react to these 29 candidates"

Bottom line, they proved the chemicals killed odor responsible bacteria. However, it doesn't prove for how long, or if deer even care, or if it is even enough for deer to care. It even says there, the next research step would entail seeing how deer react. One of the most powerful arguments I've come across skeptics is that deer actually don't and you have to remove almost 100% of the bacteria for deer not to detect you, which is impossible.

I see this all the time "it has been proven scientifically!" with so many products... using incomplete science to market a product is extremely common. Notice how they didn't write the part of the quote that states needs to be tested with deer on the article? why? cause it kills their argument...

P.D. I still use scent removal, because, you never know! :joy:. And some experienced hunters swear by it, so maybe I am wrong, I don't want to risk it. But I honestly think it is useless. This public land hunter I used to follow on youtube said, if you are gonna use it, take some spray with you and spray everything after the hike. Even your deer call, if you don't, then don;t even bother.

Interesting, yeah I've read articles before suggesting scientific proof of it working. However, there are others showing that it doesn't make a difference. There are way too many variables and very hard to do controlled experiments to show it actually makes a difference when hunting. I actually read part of the research paper, not the article, and it states the following:

" So, after collecting the body odor samples, Dissanayake recruited the help of a mathematician to tailor a data-crunching program for their needs. Based on his analysis of the subjects' hundreds of VOCs, Dissanayake figured out that the sprays worked by greatly reducing the levels of 29 key compounds, either by killing the responsible bacteria, binding to the chemicals or converting them into less volatile compounds. To further narrow down the list, the next research step would entail seeing how deer react to these 29 candidates"

Bottom line, they proved the chemicals killed odor responsible bacteria. However, it doesn't prove for how long, or if deer even care, or if it is even enough for deer to care. It even says there, the next research step would entail seeing how deer react. One of the most powerful arguments I've come across skeptics is that deer actually don't and you have to remove almost 100% of the bacteria for deer not to detect you, which is impossible.

I see this all the time "it has been proven scientifically!" with so many products... using incomplete science to market a product is extremely common. Notice how they didn't write the part of the quote that states needs to be tested with deer on the article? why? cause it kills their argument...

P.D. I still use scent removal, because, you never know! :joy:. And some experienced hunters swear by it, so maybe I am wrong, I don't want to risk it. But I honestly think it is useless. This public land hunter I used to follow on youtube said, if you are gonna use it, take some spray with you and spray everything after the hike. Even your deer call, if you don't, then don;t even bother.
Entrophy fair enough.
There are both sides.
I agree, you can gather data to prove or disprove scent control.
I knew getting in this topic it is very debated. Both sides.
I did a lot of research on the subject.
And I had the same question.
This all I can say is when I did use it.
I was able to visually see more deer.
And I was able to stalk closer.
My last stalk on two does was started from approximately 90 something yards and I closed in to 40 yards out in the open. No cover, virtually no wind.
Al i can say from experience it seems to work better. Every one's mileage will differ.
That article does state it kills the bacteria that caused the order.
It does state we smell what we eat.

Common sense :
If we over drink alcohol.
We precipitated smelly alcohol.
If we eat to much garlic.
We smell like garlic
I being guilty of both.
It says in the article we are or smell what we eat.

Thank for the reply. I do like your reply because you stated facts not here say.
This will be my last post on the subject.
Best to all
LB

I did not try to start a pissing match... just trying to point out other things that may have enabled you to get close, other than scent control. I've been trying to get close to deer with my bow for 32 years and I learned to keep the wind in my face, that's all. Ed F

I did not try to start a pissing match... just trying to point out other things that may have enabled you to get close, other than scent control. I've been trying to get close to deer with my bow for 32 years and I learned to keep the wind in my face, that's all. Ed F

This.....^^^^^

Reactions: nicapopolis
Ed no problem.
That why I agreed with your post.
And thank you for reply.
Best
LB

spray every little thing down with sent killer then spray down with a sent from the area you are going to hunt such a sage or pine etc. Just boil some sage or what ever and use it as a sent killer( the stronger the sent you make the better) after using the store bought sent killer. You will hide your sent better, and yes still play the wind as best you can.

spray every little thing down with sent killer then spray down with a sent from the area you are going to hunt such a sage or pine etc. Just boil some sage or what ever and use it as a sent killer( the stronger the sent you make the better) after using the store bought sent killer. You will hide your sent better, and yes still play the wind as best you can.
Still, what happens when you fart or bad breath? And actually, maybe those are just things that humans can smell and deer don't really care about. Do we really know?

A test was done with a police K9 and this was their result....

"In other words, if a buck crosses your path before your scent has had time to dissipate naturally, he’s going to get you, whether you spray down or not."

That K9 has 100 million less receptors than a deer..... maybe that doesn't mean anything either. Who knows.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Reactions: longbowhunter2
Now in the same topic that is being discussed here I would ask, if deer can smell human scent from far away, couldn't we use that factor in our favor and bring with us a bag of apples or whatever they are attracted to? We wouldn't be feeding them, just attracting them.
I want to mention that I am new at deer hunting and I might be asking something that might make you think that I am kidding, but I am not. Maybe is against the rules, I don;t know. I rather learn here than in front of a warden.

Reactions: longbowhunter2
Now in the same topic that is being discussed here I would ask, if deer can smell human scent from far away, couldn't we use that factor in our favor and bring with us a bag of apples or whatever they are attracted to? We wouldn't be feeding them, just attracting them.
I want to mention that I am new at deer hunting and I might be asking something that might make you think that I am kidding, but I am not. Maybe is against the rules, I don;t know. I rather learn here than in front of a warden.
I like apples in my backpack.
Quenches my thirst.
But no go for any other purposes.
But apples are great for eating.
LB

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu