Bobcat Trapping & potential ban

wheels

Mar 1, 2011
East County, Ca
sdcvc.com
        • I know we don't have a lot of trappers but it is important that we support. This is one of the most controversial subject in this state. Some might already know in 2013, AB 1213, Bobcat Protection Act was put into place.

This bill would enact the Bobcat Protection Act of 2013, which would, beginning January 1, 2014, make it unlawful to trap any bobcat, or attempt to do so, or to sell or export any bobcat or part of any bobcat taken in the area surrounding Joshua Tree National Park, as specified. The bill would require the commission to amend its regulations to prohibit the trapping of bobcats adjacent to the boundaries of each national or state park and national monument or wildlife refuge in which bobcat trapping is prohibited, as specified. The bill would require the commission, commencing January 1, 2016, to consider whether to prohibit bobcat trapping within, and adjacent to, preserves, state conservancies, and any other public or private conservation areas identified to the commission by the public as warranting protection, and to amend its regulations accordingly, as specified.

So the F&G Commission asked the Fish and Wildlife Department to come back with recommendations. Director Donham (Fish and Wildlife Director) came back with department recommendation which were to make two bobcat trapping zones, one North and one South. His recommendation came from the last 10 years of bobcat trapping history and where majority of trapping was done. He said in his letter it would be easier creating two zones because creating all of the individual boundaries would be a huge task for the department staff.

So this would mean the current few people that trap in San Diego would no longer have this ability. You can look at the maps I attached and see for yourself. Any future trapping would be banned in all areas except the north and south zone. A ban is not what the legislation was intending. We know this is what the anti's have asked for many times over the last year.

So I am trying to connect with out local Representatives of our county. We need letters in support of SB 457 from County Supervisors and other leaders that represent San Diego. San Diego would be in the banned area for bobcat trapping if the DRAFT BOBCAT TRAPPING ZONES is accepted. Trapping has a long recreational history and our future of trapping will be stopped in San Diego. I need letters in support of SB 457 (Nielsen) Bobcat Protection Act of 2013. I have attached SB-457 for you to read and it will be heard in the legislation on April 14th.

I am giving you this information because it is important that everyone understands and are involved. Even though they aren't looking for letters from hunters, we still need to be aware of the issues. We need our county reps to support our recreation. We are the constituents that put them in office.

**********I am attaching the Senate Bill 457 which we support.

**********Attached is also the ​Draft ​Bobcat ​Trapping ​Zone​s​ maps​ (if you look at it, San Diego would be banned)​

Director Bonham letter with recommendations
          http://www.fgc.ca.gov/meetings/2014/dec/Exhibits/14_1_DFW_Memo_Bobcat.pdf

Bobcat Zones
          http://www.fgc.ca.gov/meetings/2014/dec/Exhibits/14_2_BobcatZoneMap100714.pdf

Nelson SB457 (we support)
          http://www.leginfo.ca.gov/pub/15-16/bill/sen/sb_0451-0500/sb_457_bill_20150225_introduced.pdf

Im not sure I support Bobcat trapping. It would be one thing if a guy really needed it put food on the table for his family, but trapping for sport or hobby? I share my deer and turkey spot with cats and I see no negative impact caused by them. They are mostly eating ground squirrels. What is the need for cat trapping in Ca. ? ???

Invisible man said:
Im not sure I support Bobcat trapping. It would be one thing if a guy really needed it put food on the table for his family, but trapping for sport or hobby? I share my deer and turkey spot with cats and I see no negative impact caused by them. They are mostly eating ground squirrels. What is the need for cat trapping in Ca. ? ???

Doug,
The need is that the more they take away the closer it gets to taking away what you like to do. Whether you like it or not.
These people will not stop at Bobcat trapping. They will not stop at coyote hunting. They will not stop at deer hunting. They will not stop at Turkey hunting.
They will only stop when there is no hunting.
If we don't support one another there will be no hunting.

Yeah, I know and understand the need and idea of supporting each other, but I don't consider trapping a sport and I don't consider trappers to be sportsman. I don't consider it to be wrong or bad but it is surely not sporting in my opinion. I wouldn't vote to take it away. But I don't think its the right platform for me as a sportsman to get on. What does everyone else think?

Invisible man said:

I can respect your thoughts but we have to understand that hunting and trapping have gone hand in hand since the beginning. It isn't something that you see as much around San Diego or even California but it does has a history here. The history is thick in some parts of the U.S....

As you already said you understand it is really about supporting our recreational abilities. If you child wanted to learn about it they wouldn't have the ability to learn in San Diego first hand if this ban went through. We must support each other. I also don't trap but I sure will support my friends that will. Commissioner Rogers said at the meeting this year. We should just ban bobcat tapping all together. Well that is what they did for mtn lions. I can't tell you how many mtn lions I have seen on my cameras. They are everywhere and they along with bobcats need to be managed. Trapping is a management tool.

wheels said:
Invisible man said:

I can respect your thoughts but we have to understand that hunting and trapping have gone hand in hand since the beginning. It isn't something that you see as much around San Diego or even California but it does has a history here. The history is thick in some parts of the U.S....

As you already said you understand it is really about supporting our recreational abilities. If you child wanted to learn about it they wouldn't have the ability to learn in San Diego first hand in our area if this ban went through. We must support each other.
Very valid points Wheels.

These are all excellent points, but I'd love to see a new strategy like following the money. For example, in AZ, 100% of wildlife management is funded by hunting license and tag sales. Not a single tax dollar is spent on wildlife stewardship. They have debates about method of take, lead-free ammo, etc, but it's more about stewardship and management of natural resources and a lot less emotional.
I'm not downplaying the threat these folks pose to hunting or, for that matter, consumption of meat from any source. I'm just saying we need a stronger strategy than stonewalling. That's good only for defense.
My two cents.

Trapping may not be popular in this region but in other parts of the country it done as a recreational pass time. The anti's are working in Cali because it is low and easy fruit to pick,Once they get what they want here they'll use Cali as an example in the next state they attack. Folks that live in rural areas sometimes have to trap to remove nuisance animals that are causing trouble with their livestock. It's in all of our interests to support the people that do participate in trapping.

Chip, Chip, Chip,........One aspect of the hunting and outdoors at a time........FIGHT EVERYTHING THAT DOESN"T ENHANCE OUR HUNTING HERTIAGE!

wheels said:
ilovesprig said:
Chip, Chip, Chip,........One aspect of the hunting and outdoors at a time........FIGHT EVERYTHING THAT DOESN"T ENHANCE OUR HUNTING HERTIAGE!

Steve, I sent you a email yesterday or the day before, did you get it?

Yes Robert,

Just got home and will pass on to Bill. I will also try to get Diane Jacobs on board. Some of the board members are tough sells.......Thanks for your hard work on these anti-hunting & gun issues.

Absolutely they will dismantle hunting in California. They are right - bobcat trapping is an opening salvo, ultimately it will be for the poor deer who are disappearing (but they won't say it is from too many predators or housing projects all over the foothills and mountains). No hunting = no need for guns = disarmament.

ilovesprig said:
wheels said:
ilovesprig said:

Steve, I sent you a email yesterday or the day before, did you get it?

Yes Robert,

Just got home and will pass on to Bill. I will also try to get Diane Jacobs on board. Some of the board members are tough sells.......Thanks for your hard work on these anti-hunting & gun issues.

Thanks Steve, I also got Mike Harrision from Duncan Hunters office to send info out the as well

Trapping not sporting?

You must have never done it........Bobcats eat deer, young helpless fawns but mainly birds like turkeys & rodents........trapping is just another tool for a balance of predator & prey

Invisible man said:

I'm kinda on your page but I know this is just a stepping stone till I cant gun them down either

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu