BoLA 6/3 - 6/7 - Short report

Baller

Sep 12, 2016
Afternoon SCH'ers,

Short report for last weeks fishing last week in BoLA...
First part of the week was a little slow due to the green water and the fish had been hammered by the fleet hitting right out front for days on end. So the fish scattered and when we found the biomass it was south, especially on Thursday and Friday. Those days were what a jig slinger lives for.. WIDE OPEN YELLOWTAIL ON THE SURFACE IRON. For 2-3 hours in the morning it was full speed, all you want yellows. These fish were gangster too, straight 24-36# fish with bad attitudes and intentions. Many boats missed the bite getting bait. All flavors of jigs were working but the Blue OCT-10 was the best performer for me, including one beast I could not stop with 22# of drag and my thumb clamped down on the spool. He straight up dogged me.! 50-60# leaders here as the fish are not shy. Was changing leader 4-5 times per day as we were fishing close to reefs. If you want the hot bite that's going on right now, skip the bait and go throw the jig. No pics as everyone knows what a yellowtail looks like and I was busy hustling...

Hopefully the info will help someone. I should also add we were fishing with Pedro and Cangrejos Sportfishing, our home away from home. Give them a shout if you need/want to fish in one of their Pangas.

Roads are in nice shape with only a little wait time south of Ensenada. Military checkpoints were simple and fast. Road crews were out in force fixing the potholes.

Sorry John, no bait used for this snobby jig guy..!!! :)

Viva Mexico..!!

I think some of my buddies have some although they were busy getting their butts handed to them by these mean fish. :)

Pound for pound YT are the toughest fish I’ve caught. Great trip you’re having!

That's awesome I need to make it down to BOLA I spend a lot of time in San Felipe area down to about Gonzagas but haven't made it down to BOLA yet. Cool trip congrats.

That's awesome I need to make it down to BOLA I spend a lot of time in San Felipe area down to about Gonzagas but haven't made it down to BOLA yet. Cool trip congrats.

Yeah man, you need to get down there. It is a magical place. It is so rugged and such a prehistorically harsh environment....like time stood still. We go early June so the heat isn't so hot and that is the best time for the surface iron game, which we are all about.

Just amazing... :)

Yeah man, you need to get down there. It is a magical place. It is so rugged and such a prehistorically harsh environment....like time stood still. We go early June so the heat isn't so hot and that is the best time for the surface iron game, which we are all about.

Just amazing... :)
do you ever hit up San Quintine? I use to do a lot of missions work down there but never got out in the bay. One of these years I am gonna make a run down the peninsula with family fishing all these places and beach camping.

San Quentin has very good fishing. You can get yellowtail, white seabass and a host of others outside of the bay. Inside you can catch halibut and spotted bay bass and sometimes some grouper. Also has some good surf fishing and you can dig for clams on almost any beach at low tide. Super fun for the whole family.

Right on man, and thank you very much for sharing the pics and info..
How is it taking a small travel trailer..
Over there?

Certainly do-able with a couple of stipulations:

1. Don't be in a hurry, enjoy the journey
2. Never pass up a gas station
3. Only drive during the day
4. Be prepared for secondary inspections at the border and military checkpoints.

Aside from that I have traveled extensively in both Baja and mainland Mexico with a travel trailer. Pot holes can be found everywhere so go slow so you don't break leaf springs, etc. and you will be fine. The part from El Rosario (Wine country) across the peninsula to the desert is a pretty amazing change of scenery. There is a pure white donkey (Albino looking) that we only see every few years out in the middle of nowhere so I am always on the lookout for him..!! :)

Reactions: longbowhunter2
Great pix and thanks for sharing...I've heard it's changed a lot since the late 60's and early 70's (when we were there)...Camped on the sand and fished with car toppers...Trolled CD-17 Rapala's for the yellows.

ps...Are the Cabrilla big bass still there (I think I see one)?

Great pix and thanks for sharing...I've heard it's changed a lot since the late 60's and early 70's (when we were there)...Camped on the sand and fished with car toppers...Trolled CD-17 Rapala's for the yellows.

ps...Are the Cabrilla big bass still there (I think I see one)?

Been fishing there since the early 80's. Same as you, we camped on the beach and fished with car top aluminum boats. Far cry from the one gas station and old lady with the water well but still the same BoLA. Trolling always works until the fish get on the deep reefs in 180-250' of water as the water temps heat up. Still not many people fish the long rod or yoyo, they prefer the easier way of bait fishing. I don't like the easy way, so we choose to use artificials only. That one in the pick was amongst the yellows in 80 ft of water all chasing the balled up bait and caught on a surface iron. I have one surface iron jig (A2Z) I retired that has over 100 grouper on it. Really cool to see them come up and smash the jig from 40 feet deep sometimes. Leopard grouper, gulf grouper and I even caught a broomtail of about 25 pounds on the long rod. Barred Pargo, Jack Crevalle, you name it, we caught it. One island we caught 12 different species on the surface iron in the same afternoon. Bays are still filled with bass, in fact, we caught a spotted bay bass on the surface iron from that same bird school as the yellowtail and grouper. Pretty wild. Eat or be eaten..!! :)

Looks like this trip made you younger. Nicely done. Now its time to get those reels rebuilt for your next trip...;)

Looks like this trip made you younger. Nicely done. Now its time to get those reels rebuilt for your next trip...;)

Yes, and thank god for that. If they were a bicycle mfg product I would have had to just throw them in the trash..!!!

Ba ha haaa..!!! :)

Reactions: longbowhunter2

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu