Boots

Hallx7 said:
Bonejour said:
Great idea about cedar chips.

Sent via Tapatalk

I'd love to say it was my idea but it was my best friend that turned me on to it. Works like a charm.
Lol. If your friend offers you cedar chips for your shoes, you should probably accept... It's like someone offering you a breath mint. Haha

Sent via Tapatalk

I've been a long time Danner Elk hunter fan, Danner made them for Cabelas but recently stop production, I avoid any boots made in China or similar places, I'm looking at Whites boots (custom hand made to your foot) for this year, Whites would be a bit over kill for So. Cal. Good thread y'all

For the price Rocky boots are pretty nice to. They have a stiff feel for good ankle support. However long hikes tend to hurt after a while when hiking rugged terrain.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am a new hunter and initially plan to hunt in California only and I was wondering if you guys prefer a stiffer boot. I went to REI and tried on the Asolo's, Lowa's and Vasque. I liked the Asolo's stiffness over the Lowa's and Vasque's but unfortunately one of loops rubbed against my ankle so I didn't get the Asolo's. Also do you guys prefer an all leather boot?

Thanks

Eric

My dad has some rocky boots he loves. I hiked many years in a full leather pair of lowa's then i had a pair of lighter vasque sundowners that were leather and canvas. I NEVER buy a pair of boots that dont have vibrum soles. When i hunt way in the back country i wear my my la sportiva macaluus they are an expedition weight boot. when im carrying more then 50lbs or so i like a very stiff boot. when im out for a day or 2 hunting upland or summer hunting i wear my bates duty boot a lighter but much taller (9") side zip i have over 20 years fitting boots, back packing, rock and ice climbing and expedition experience. In short buy a medium to light boot that you can easiely break in. small things like things hitting your toe or ankle in the store will eventually break in but for a beginner will determine if you toss them in the trash or not. Then take short walks around the house ans around the block, dont over do it. if your going to stick with it buy the best you can afford and the stiffest you can stand (they will last longer). stick to name brands. higher boots have more support and are more deterrent to ticks and fleas and sand and dirt getting in your boots. shorter boots like 6" are usually easier to break in and you can feel more for things for light climbing and jumping rocks at the river. If your only going out for a day of light upland hunting get light comfortable boots if your already planning 2-3 or longer days out and plan on hunting big game get bigger heavier boots.

What ever you do dont get sucked in to the ultra light craze you will regrete it. pm if you have any questions

uplandfam

Thanks for the advice. Going to hit Bass Pro Shops and Adventure 16 when I get a chance.

Eric

A16 used to be really really good for real good equipment I get most of my stuff from bass pro shops so take a good look. I also forgot to mention one other thing. SNAKES!! Its not a huge deal unless you really think you will be in the thick of them off trail and what not but nothing replaces a good pair of snake boots. but they are usually 14+" high and really hot in the summer. one more thing to think about.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu