Boots

I have kenetrek hardscrabbles as well. Best boot ever . You can try a lot of different boots on at adventure54 in mission valley. The place by fairmount with the tent on the roof. Buy once cry once.

My buddy and I both swear by our Irish Setter boots. We buy the more expensive leather ones so the can be resoled if needed. He's had his for almost 10 years and just had the soles redone. Best thing I can offer is go to several shops and try on as many as you can.

I went over to Adventure 16 to look at their boots. Their service and knowledge was great, but all the boots are crazy colors except for a single model of Vasques. Went to REI and their selection was better overall, with no neon or metallic colors. My old boots are Zamberlains that I've had for 30+ years, re-soled a few times with Vibram soles. They give great traction but they are noisy due to the very stiff sole (last). Also, the waterproofing just doesn't seem to be very durable anymore. I can get a modern waterproof boot (Gore Tex liner) that is a lot lighter and breathes better than my old ones, but I still like leather outside to beat the rattler's bite. Also the ankle support was never all that great in my old boots, and I have Snake Charmer's concern when side-hilling. As we get into rattlesnake season I'm looking for a leather boot with good ankle support that is not too stiff in the sole... I understand that will be a tough compromise since support in the sole generally matches ankle support. Neither Adventure 16 nor REI carries the Kennetrek. Maybe I'll try Dick's on Sports Arena.

IMO, There are no good boot stores in So cal, I honestly think you will have to search far and wide to find what you want. I live and work on broken ground and have never found what I need here...

When I say I'm born on budget, I seriously mean that... to the adage of "buy once, cry once", I just can't do it. Some of you guys on here must have done a lot of cry once (rifle, boots, bow, packs, tents, etc...) I bought a pair of Cabela's online for cheap and they are rugged and I love them. They're really good quality and are priced compared to what I'd spend on a junk pair from a non-hunting store. I did have bouts with blisters covering my entire heel for the first few weeks of break-in. So I'll buy once, b!+ch multiple times, but not have to hear my wife nag about how much I spent on hunting. The less I spend on stuff, the more times I can go hunt.

8SteelTown said:
When I say I'm born on budget, I seriously mean that... to the adage of "buy once, cry once", I just can't do it... The less I spend on stuff, the more times I can go hunt.

I hear you, Steel Town. You can pay a lot for boots and still not get what you need. I'm taking all this great advice down, but still looking at online reviews because what I'm looking for is pretty specific. Still doing my homework.

8)

Sent via Tapatalk

I'm back to the Meindl's. Bought a pair of the Cabelas boots two years ago and they are worn out. (tried to save some $) The Cabelas were OK as far as comfort. I just wore the soles off of them. Went back to the Meindl perfekts, the first two pairs lasted 8-10 years each.
That would be like buying 4-5 pair of the Cabelas boots per pair of the Meindl's.

I know it's hard to spend the extra $ on gear for hunting but if you save a little longer and buy a little better quality you will save long term.I can't even remember how many pair of binoculars I have bought. More than likely enough to buy a couple of pair of sworo's or liecas. Long term I would have been $ ahead but that price tag is hard to swallow.

I hear ya LP... Being somewhat new to hunting, it's more like "buy cheaper now to teach her a lesson on re-buying later".

I want to thank all the experienced outdoorsmen that posted to this thread. My old Zamberlans needed replacing because they were no longer water-proof and I need more ankle support on the rough terrain out here. Especially side-hilling, as Snake Charmer pointed out, I need a lot of support. After reading this chain with great interest, I researched all the brands above. It is pretty hard to find good hunting boots in San Diego, though. I tried Dick's, REI, and Adventure 16 down in Mission Valley. There are some good hunting boot reviews online that were helpful.
In the end I decided on Kenetrek Mountain Extreme (10" boots) with 400g Thinsulate. I had to order them online, so I went to REI to size my feet. I found the boots to be true to size. I'm in the process of breaking them in on walks around my neighborhood; they were comfortable and gave good support today when I was out scouting off-trail. Will post again after I've worked them in and tested them some more.

Wheels, did Jack get his Danners yet, and how does he like them?

Thanks again to all for the great insights in the thread above.

Snake Charmer said:
Bonejour, let us know how your boots work out, I'm concerned that they may be a bit hot in our climate, again let us know how they work
Will do, Snake Charmer. As you know, they are available with no insulation as well as with 1000 grams Thinsulate. I need some insulation for hunting in the Northeast, and hope 400g won't be too much here in SCal.

Sent via Tapatalk

Bonejour said:
Snake Charmer said:
Bonejour, let us know how your boots work out, I'm concerned that they may be a bit hot in our climate, again let us know how they work
Will do, Snake Charmer. As you know, they are available with no insulation as well as with 1000 grams Thinsulate. I need some insulation for hunting in the Northeast, and hope 400g won't be too much here in SCal.
Snake Charmer, thanks again for steering me to the Kenetrek boots. And thanks Wheels and Wee Willy for starting the thread. These boots are so much better than my old Zamberlans for hunting/hiking on rough terrain, I can't believe the difference! I was up in the mountains all day on some really rough terrain and my bad right leg never felt weak. I stopped in at FF on the way home and John suggested I post a follow up. It hasn't gotten warm yet, but I'll test them (400g Thinsulate) in the desert later this year. Perhaps if they breathe well, the insulation may not be a disadvantage other than the weight. As for their stability when side-hilling, they are the bomb!
8)

I have 400 g thinsulate in my boots and haven't had any problem with them being too hot. (I usually run hot anyways). They also keep me nice and toasty in the snow. The boots definitely stink after a good few days of hiking but I just put cedar wood chips in them after I get home. I have Irish Setters and love them but I find boots are like rifles, good ones are good and each brand has its own following. Buy a good boot that works for you and you're set. Definitely a piece of equipment I don't buy cheap.

Hallx7 said:
I find boots are like rifles, good ones are good and each brand has its own following. Buy a good boot that works for you and you're set. Definitely a piece of equipment I don't buy cheap.

Well said Hallx7...

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu