Bow hunters input needed

• Thread starter Deleted member 27310
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 27310

Hello fellow hunters,

This year I will concentrate on bow hunting rather than rifle for my deer seasons. I have my "go to" spots and I have my new areas that I have scouted out. My question to you is how you guys figure distance out in a split second? What I do while sitting in my spot I range bushes out, and imagine the bucks passing by them. The bucks in my area are always on the move and very skittish. I have found myself a few times fumbling around with my range finder and by that time the bucks have passed and gone with the wind. Is this something you learn as time goes by, how to range them by eye?

Just take you range finder when your out and about guess the range then range it. Some break it down in 10 or 20 yard increments to help in the guess. You can do this everywhere you go just keep at it after time you'll be close enough to make it work when you don't have time.

you can also range objects when you set up and take notes or remember them. Say a specific tree, brush, etc. Once you're at your spot, you use the object as your reference point with the deer.
I use the same estimation for rifle shoots.
BTW my estimations according to MJBs tip has always been horrible. No matter how long Ive tried to do it I'm always off. My depth perception is horrible I guess. It was very discouraging. good thing my rifle shoots 100-300 without holding over.

Well I'm only good to about 60yds for ranging blind for archery beyond that I can tell within 10-15yds at around 100 yds but that's usally rifle time so not much of a need to range if they are that close.

It takes lots of practice

you can also range objects when you set up and take notes or remember them. Say a specific tree, brush, etc. Once you're at your spot, you use the object as your reference point with the deer.
I use the same estimation for rifle shoots.
BTW my estimations according to MJBs tip has always been horrible. No matter how long Ive tried to do it I'm always off. My depth perception is horrible I guess. It was very discouraging. good thing my rifle shoots 100-300 without holding over.

This was right on point. I usually range every distinctive thing in a 50 yrd radius of my stand. I constantly range things to keep my mind occupied while I'm bored. Keeps you busy and makes it easy for when you turn your head and see a deer standing in your last shooting lane, right before he steps out of your life forever.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Bonejour
all good info, also when practicing at targets mix it up 10, 12 15 17 22 , and on yards. deer are never at level or at exact increments of 10, 20 30, 40 yards, plus shooting down and up at targets. also when shooting down or up must compensate for distance. higher end range finders have that built in. and much more than can be explained here. google lots of stuff and read up on it. most important practice with the arrows and broad heads that you will be using. because it can change the trajectory. found that out the hard way.

AKA Ghost

I just don't shoot, if they're not 25 yds or closer......lol

ps.....I never leave home without a range finder. Even here in Canada hunting geese.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu