Brawley Area Dove scouting report

CaptJgray

Aug 20, 2013
Hey guys,

I had an opportunity to look around a bit East of Brawley yesterday afternoon.

I was driving back from my place in Mexico and wanted to see if any of the areas I hunt were holding any birds.

Just FYI I am not hunting down there on the opener as I will be taking some kids up to Tejon on Sunday and Monday.

I looked out by the Highline canal and there was a really good number of white wings flying. In fact there was a lot of birds flying from the desert to an orchard which has a small patch of wheat in the middle of it.

I did not see very many morning doves at all.

after looking at that for a bit I took a drive to a friends feed lot and the Eurasians were thick...

luckily for me there is nobody hunting the feedlot on the opener so I get first crack at them the following weekend!!!

I didnt spend a whole lot of time driving around, especially since I saw plenty of birds in the one area. and by then they may be blown out. regardless they are there now so good luck and stay safe. Just remember there are plenty of places to hunt down there where you wont get shot....

I've always seen it posted with lots of pay hunters........ but the birds have to get there from somewhere.

I try and stay away from the crowds I usually have 5-6 hunters with me anyway so we bring our own crowd. Sounds like the wheat is gone and cotton this year is thick. May be too early for cotton but one of those cut fields may have birds just takes gas to find the right one!

The Orchard is posted but the adjacent field is not.

And no it is not the one off of Green Street and the Hwy.

Though that one had birds as well and the field is also not posted.

I did talk to my buddy yesterday and he said the weather has been nasty...

Hope they stick around for you guys

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu