Broad heads

TaftHunter said:
[\quote]
I can't stress this last part enough, please practice with what you are going to hunt with...before you go hunting! So many people just screw on and go. Most don't own a broadhead target but that is not an excuse. We all owe it to these animals to be proficient with our equipment before taking to the field.

Trust me I shoot like 200 arrows a week.. About 300 with my practice broadheads the week before season. I can hit vitals at 65 yards every shot. So I got my practice down...
Do like fixed blade. But right now I'm leaning with the rage...
[/quote]

It was an indirect statement. In my small group of hunting friends we have a few that don't do this and it drives me nuts. It's not just bow hunting, I feel the same way about rifle hunting as well.

I shoot what gives me the most confidence and you should too. Good luck with whatever you choose!

Mergrath said:
Besides, my holes look cooler than yours! 8)

buck9-19-10x2.jpg

My last four archery deer have died within 60 yards...three of those were within 20 yards. One mistake I made early on in archery hunting was aiming too far back as I was scared of hitting the shoulder. Now I aim for the arm pit which seems to work great for me.

Thats what you call a bullseye!

Mergrath said:
Besides, my holes look cooler than yours! 8)

buck9-19-10x2.jpg

My last four archery deer have died within 60 yards...three of those were within 20 yards. One mistake I made early on in archery hunting was aiming too far back as I was scared of hitting the shoulder. Now I aim for the arm pit which seems to work great for me.

I love it !!!!! Nice shot !!

Re: Broadheads

Mergrath said:
NBK said:
Mergrath said:
The downside to the VPA heads is that they are made out of steel. Steel rusts very quickly and while hunting in wet weather you will have to constantly be touching them up.

There is a product called "Boeshield T-9®" that you can lightly spray or wipe on to your broadhead's that will eliminate corrosion. It is not oil based (it is very much like an ultra thin viscous wax). We sell it at Fine Firearms in both liquid and spray form.

Does it come in earth scent? ;D I wont use anything that smells like a chemical. I actually have extensive experience with lubricants as you know and most waxes with an embedded corrosion inhibitor have a funk smell that I wouldn't bow hunt with. I've actually been trying to develop my own. ;)

SC1 Earth scent. ;) Great idea.

Re: Broadheads

I have been pushing for an outdoorsman line for a few years now... cammo labels and all! I am currently having a cammo hat made with Maxima in blaze orange embroidered onto it. ;D

[/quote]
SC1 Earth scent. ;) Great idea.
[/quote]

Here is a Rage hole in the arm pit.

Attachments

• Rage Hole.JPG
    Rage Hole.JPG
    3.6 MB · Views: 13
Like buck hunter I've shot easily 10 plus big game animals with a 2 blade rage. I've shot elk thru the shoulder and right thru the heart. I've also made marginal shots and recovered those animals, and am almost certain if I was shooting a fixed blade I would have never recovered those animals. Broad heads are so sharp that a marginal shot the animal beds and in a short period of time the wound seals up because it was cut so cleanly. The rage leaves such a gaping wound,your just giving yourself a higher percentage rate of recovering an animal. Boogie was here hunting with me in Jan and unfortunately made a couple marginal shots using fixed blades and I have no doubt we recover his animal if he had been shooting rage. I'm sure he already has some!

Here's the reason I shoot Rage

Attachments

• AZ1.png
    AZ1.png
    1.9 MB · Views: 65
  • az2.png
    az2.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 61
  • az3.png
    az3.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 67
  • az4.png
    az4.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 68
  • az5.png
    az5.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 67
  • az6.jpg
    az6.jpg
    79.5 KB · Views: 60
Those are some monster bucks!

It's funny how when you travel to different parts of the country how certain brands are entrenched. I will say that I run into the Mathews bows with Grim Reaper broadheads more than any other combo.

Rage. But I can't get a buck in range that's big enough. So all my kills r with judo points I kill Squirrels

Sdbirds said:
Rage. But I can't get a buck in range that's big enough. So all my kills r with judo points I kill Squirrels

Judos are the best I've made a few 55 yrd shots on cottontails with em and probably a hundred under 55 yards

TaftHunter said:
Sdbirds said:

Judos are the best I've made a few 55 yrd shots on cottontails with em and probably a hundred under 55 yards

Rad

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu