Broadhead Safety

teachanother

Jul 3, 2011
San Diego
I've heard the stories over the years of how someone jacks themselves on their own broadhead and thought, they're just careless, not smart (like me ;D). I don't feel that way anymore. Last weekend I was out hunting with my bow on my back when I suddenly hear an arrow drop and hit a rock. I reach back to feel what was going on back there and cut my finger on an exposed broadhead. When I got the pack off I discovered the new foam insert that was just installed by my archery pro guy had slid out of the upper section of the quiver and the arrows were popping off of the that rubber holders. Worse yet, one of the blades nicked and cut my brand new $140.00 string. This of coarse ended my hunt.

My finger is fine but the new string is ruined. it takes 1-2 weeks to get a new one installed. The problem was the new foam insert was not glued in placed. As i walked along or jumped through the big boulders the insert popped out.

The lesson for me was you cant be too careful with your broadheads. You have to treat them just like any other knife and make sure they are properly secured.

Be safe out there.

I read a true story where two buddys were bowhunting and the buddy behind had a arrow knocked and the buddy in front stopped and the guy behind bumped into him somehow stabbing him with the broadhead killing him...Makes you think...

code3run said:
I read a true story where two buddys were bowhunting and the buddy behind had a arrow knocked and the buddy in front stopped and the guy behind bumped into him somehow stabbing him with the broadhead killing him...Makes you think...

Yeah it does. Its a tragic story.

I suppose we need to have the same kinds of safety standards for archery that we do for rifles. You wouldn't let a person walk behind you with a round up the spout and the safety off. Most guides won't let you walk behind them with your gun chambered.

That really sucks that your bow string was cut, your right they are very expensive. I shoot the Bowtech string that has Gortex in it to bead off water and they are very costly.

My last bow which my son shoots now is a Browning and has killed allot of animals. A few years ago I added the new Trophy Ridge sights that all the pins are aligned. I was at full draw in my back yard just lining up the string with the sights and my Scott release ripped out of the leather. It cut the string, cables and ripped the new sights right off the bow and landed half way across the yard, completely blow the bow apart. Luckily Bruce and Jim at the Bow Shop sent it back to PSE that now owns Browning and they replaced the limbs, cables and string for $60.00. I also told Bass Pro about this and the replaced my sights and release. I shoot a Jim Fletcher release now and if that happen to my Bowtech it would of cost me what a new bow would of cost me.

I have both the foam and the magnet broadhead holder that I use in my quiver so I can’t glue it in. I like the foam during hunting season to keep the bow silent and I like the magnet holder for target shooting.

Michael Pritzl said:
That really sucks that your bow string was cut, your right they are very expensive. I shoot the Bowtech string that has Gortex in it to bead off water and they are very costly.

My last bow which my son shoots now is a Browning and has killed allot of animals. A few years ago I added the new Trophy Ridge sights that all the pins are aligned. I was at full draw in my back yard just lining up the string with the sights and my Scott release ripped out of the leather. It cut the string, cables and ripped the new sights right off the bow and landed half way across the yard, completely blow the bow apart. Luckily Bruce and Jim at the Bow Shop sent it back to PSE that now owns Browning and they replaced the limbs, cables and string for $60.00. I also told Bass Pro about this and the replaced my sights and release. I shoot a Jim Fletcher release now and if that happen to my Bowtech it would of cost me what a new bow would of cost me.

I have both the foam and the magnet broadhead holder that I use in my quiver so I can’t glue it in. I like the foam during hunting season to keep the bow silent and I like the magnet holder for target shooting.

Michael,

What kind on release was it that ripped? How old was it? That's cool that Bruce and Jim went to bat for you and got stuff replace for you. That would be ridiculously expensive to replace all that stuff.

I've not used the magnetic holder. I'm gonna hav'ta try that. What type of quiver do you have?

It was a Scott release where the trigger is bolted to a leather piece. It was not that old but I think it got wet during the winter hunts and when it dried out it got brittle. Yea, They helped me out a ton and now my son is shooting it adn he has three dear over the last three years. I shoot the two piece Octane quiver and it comes with a foam and magnet insert. Thanks.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu