Brothers first buck

Sep 4, 2014
Vista
It was 10/11/14. My little brother got drawn to hunt a ranch out in D-10. The ranch was a strict archery only ranch but they allow a few junior hunters to hunt it every year with a rifle. He got assigned a mentor and we ended up making really good friends with this guy. The mentor allowed me to go along on the hunt so I brought my video camera to record my brothers hunt. We had hunted hard all day with 5 does a 2 spikes spotted all day. One of the spikes was about 8-10 inches tall. The mentor decided to try one last spot. So we headed to the spot and got their around 4:45 pm. We parked the truck and headed for some boulders that our mentor new was a good vantage point. We got to the boulders and peered over to see nothing. After looking around and glassing for about a minute I see a big bodied deer walk out from behind a boulder so I point my brother in the right direction glass the deer to see it is a big buck and ranged it at 220 yards, I set up the video camera and boom my brother drops the buck in his tracks. We couldn't believe the shot and we high fived and celebrated my brothers first buck. As we were walking up to the buck a 3x3 jumps up and takes off. He was bedded not 5 yards from where my brother shot his buck. The 3x3 was smaller in body and rack so my brother got the bigger buck which is usually not how it goes haha. The buck my brother took was the biggest buck anyone had ever seen taken off the ranch. He easily weighed over 200+ and about 190+ gutted. It took me and the mentor 1 1/2 hours to get this big buck to the truck which was a mere 300 yards away.

Attachments

• grgr.JPG
    grgr.JPG
    192.5 KB · Views: 221
  • ugv.JPG
    ugv.JPG
    160 KB · Views: 195
  • ghhh.JPG
    ghhh.JPG
    200.8 KB · Views: 199
  • thgfg.JPG
    thgfg.JPG
    176.7 KB · Views: 197
great write up, congrats to your brother . mind me asking what ranch it was in d10?

yeah I thought it looked familiar, congrats to your brother! very nice first buck . how wide was he ?

No never hunted benz but hunted Cummings ranch when I was younger. the ranch isn't very far at all from my house !

Last edited:
Congrats to you guys, on a great first buck for your brother! Thanks for sharing.

The video turned out decent I got a good kill shot. I tried posting a small clip of the vid with the storie but couldn't. I'll try to post it in the videos section of the forum

pendletonhunter said:
The video turned out decent I got a good kill shot. I tried posting a small clip of the vid with the storie but couldn't. I'll try to post it in the videos section of the forum

Post it on you tube. Then you can post the link to the forum.

Stupid regulations are selecting for it. Had to read that rule three times when I started hunting here. Couldn't believe my eyes.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu