Butcher to process a hog?

The joel

Oct 25, 2016
Good evening SCH!After reading a bunch of threads on here I booked a hunt with Neil at giant sequoia guide services. My hunt is on aug 10 and I’m wondering who you guys would recommend I bring it for processing. Before anyone starts with the “process it yourself stuff!” I get it but that’s not happening this go around. So far the only one I found to do it is bishers in Ramona and he wants $200 for up to a 200lbs hog! Seems expensive but what do I know. Any input would be great. I’ll add pictures after the hunt for sure!

Before anyone starts with the “process it yourself stuff!” I get it but that’s not happening this go around.

Process it yourself. After you get a hog on the ground, I assume you'll get it gutted, skinned, and quartered for transport. Then de-boning, cutting, and wrapping will be the easy part. Taking bone-in meat to any processor will be wayyy more expensive than de-boned, say, if you want them to do ground and/or sausage. That said, T&H in San Marcos has awesome service, is reasonably priced, and has the BEST sausage. I took some of my deer there last year for ground and jalapeno cheddar sausage (bomb).

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Bree's Meats up here in OC butchered 2 hogs for me and sausaged them up for around $200. They were two smaller hogs though. Probably around 150 lbs gutted combined. Here is the info:

Brees' Quality Meats

Address: 11877 Valley View St, Garden Grove, CA 92845
Hours:
Closed ⋅ Opens 9AM

Phone: (714) 892-1115

Reactions: longbowhunter2
Very handy information from all.
Possibility to pin this moderator?
Never know who esle needs word of mouth for these hot tips.
Generally I am DIY type. Process my own the way I like plus I know it's the same animal. I know in these busy days it's not always possible. But generally I believe you're better off. Seems like good butcher's are becoming extinct.

@The joel one of the best ways to learn how to field dress game is with a guide. I would recommend asking Neil if you can field dress it with his help.

@The joel one of the best ways to learn how to field dress game is with a guide. I would recommend asking Neil if you can field dress it with his help.
That’s why I set this up. I plan on doing the work with Neil’s guidance so I will have the knowledge. Never been a big game hunter nor had someone show me. This is more a trip to learn than anything. Hell having all the fresh meat in freezer doesn’t hurt either!

Getting "dirty" is half the fun...………...lol

Just a little blood on your hands ;). I enjoy the last picture of the skinned out deer in the bed of your truck. Look at those yummy ribs, backstraps, and roasts! My venison from last year is all gone and I am drooling for more.

Reactions: longbowhunter2
All be it not huge pigs it was one hell of a learning experience. Had a great time hunting with Neil and am planning a trip in April to bring the whole family for hunting, fishing and bbq fresh meat. For anyone looking for a guided hunt that is an actual hunt I would highly recommend Neil.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu