CA youth hunting age change

DoubleTrouble

Sep 8, 2016
This one slipped by me. Youth hunting age is going from 18 down to 16. All the kids that are 16 & 17 just got screwed out of all the youth hunts. Especially since most of the 17y.o. hunters likely have max points (for youth).
I hate CA!!!
2a38d6ad45db4d42d930140b9003ff3a.jpg

Reactions: longbowhunter2
Yeah I don't get it...i'll make sure to get my kids lifetime licenses as soon as they are old enough

Reactions: MAG 1
What a joke! The plan was for my boys to hunt J12 which takes 6 points so they would draw in their last year of eligibility. Now I will just get them G13 tags every other year no point in building points. They will have more fun chasing does around the 16.

This one slipped by me. Youth hunting age is going from 18 down to 16. All the kids that are 16 & 17 just got screwed out of all the youth hunts. Especially since most of the 17y.o. hunters likely have max points (for youth).
I hate CA!!!
2a38d6ad45db4d42d930140b9003ff3a.jpg
It was a temporary extension that they did not extend but the points they've accrued are good for any zone.

What a joke! The plan was for my boys to hunt J12 which takes 6 points so they would draw in their last year of eligibility. Now I will just get them G13 tags every other year no point in building points. They will have more fun chasing does around the 16.

I think J12 is very low odds even with the max points for a youth. You probably already know this but 50% of the jr tags are random. Have you looked at the JR hunts in x7a/b? I haven't studied them since my son got too old but it looked like a good opportunity. Quality buck potential but still either sex.

Reactions: DoubleTrouble
Glad the hatchet clan raped that state from aboutt 6 to 18!! Might go back for one last massacre for the youth turkey hunt may6th-19th just to squeeze every last cent out of there junior licenses..CA..uggh!

JUNIOR LICENSE 18 and under

AB-3022 is a bill in committee (currently hung up, it seems) that would extend the Jr license for 18 and under for another year.

Anyway, I'm going to write my rep and ask him to support this bill and hopefully move it forward. I don't know why it was only authored to provide a one-year extension, but it would at least buy time to get a more permanent bill on the books.

Here is a link to the bill:

Drew,

I think our boys will still have opportunity to have max points. If nothing changes... Max would be 4 instead of 6.
I am sick for the kids that are 16 & 17 now.

Drew,

I think our boys will still have opportunity to have max points. If nothing changes... Max would be 4 instead of 6.
I am sick for the kids that are 16 & 17 now.
IDK there will be a lot more kids with 4 than there would be with 6. Whatever at this point there are so many better opportunities out of state for youth It doesn’t really affect us.

Reactions: DoubleTrouble
Ya I figured they screwed my kid out of her chance for jr big game tags that’s ca for you

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu