Cab over truck camper owners????

Bronkorob

Dec 24, 2018
I just got back from a little over a week of camping in the sierras and had a great time with the family. I currently have a small 19' toy hauler and a half ton truck. We try to camp off the beaten path in smaller camping sites, private camps, and away from the chaos of RV parks/resorts. Ive since sold the toys that the toy hauler was used for to begin with, wife and kid had zero interest. The only thing we use the ramp for these days is to drop it to get a killer view while eating inside. We saw a ton of folks camping on BLM, off the beaten path, spoke to a few, and want to investigate a different way of camping in the mountains. My wife and I might be interested in cab over/truck campers, with the option to pull a small 4x4. We like the idea of a smaller foot print, being able to drive deeper off into the mountains, away from the packs of trailers.

Does anyone currently use a cab over/slide in/truck camper? Anyone switch one way or the other, truck camper to trailer or trailer to truck camper? Curious about the pros and cons. Doesnt seem to be many on dealers lots to go look at....and Im sure there is a reason. Want to pick someones brain about it. I know it means selling everything and starting from scratch as far as tow vehicles

Last edited:
Rob,

I have a friend that just mentioned he my sell his cabover....I don't know all the details, but I know it's super clean....The truck is a Ford and has the big V-8....It's a real nice rig....Even if he decides not sell, he'd be a good guy to talk to.

He's the secretary of NWTF San Diego.

Reactions: Bronkorob
My wife and I purchased a small rpod rv trailer. My ranger with 4 liter v6 could haul it. It is lifted and can go off the beaten path. It is fully self contained. Head, shower, stove fridge. Weight approx 2700lb.
They make bigger ones for families.
This one is for two people..

I thought about doing a camper on my truck, but it would be a b!tch with it being lifted, and I don’t want to lower it either.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu