California is closed...road trip?

monyako

Jun 15, 2020
I was planning on taking my boys up to A Zone for a week of camping and hunting. I thought the probability of getting a deer was pretty low, but the boys would be excited to be out in the woods, and you have to develop your bush craft somewhere. That plan is bust with the fires.

I still have a week of vacation that I need to take, and I don't want to fly.

I'd like to limit the distance to under 1000 miles, but other than that no limits.

Where would you go hunting?

I was planning on taking my boys up to A Zone for a week of camping and hunting. I thought the probability of getting a deer was pretty low, but the boys would be excited to be out in the woods, and you have to develop your bush craft somewhere. That plan is bust with the fires.

I still have a week of vacation that I need to take, and I don't want to fly.

I'd like to limit the distance to under 1000 miles, but other than that no limits.

Where would you go hunting?

It depends on what tags you have or what game you can hunt.

Reactions: ilovesprig
Fair enough.

Perhaps the question was so broad as to be useless, and apologies for that.

I was trying to throw out a question that would spark an insight from the more experienced and knowledgeable members of the board.

Ideally we would go after deer or a larger species. The only thing we don't want to do is hire an outfitter. The trip I would take if tags were available is WY for antelope, but tags are sold out.

The biggest limitation of being a novice is you don't know what you don't know.

Reactions: Dawnandusk
Over the counter tags exist if you have various forms of take in many states. You will have to look at what you can do and what is vailable. no easy answer to your question, do your homework....

Fair enough.

Perhaps the question was so broad as to be useless, and apologies for that.

I was trying to throw out a question that would spark an insight from the more experienced and knowledgeable members of the board.

Ideally we would go after deer or a larger species. The only thing we don't want to do is hire an outfitter. The trip I would take if tags were available is WY for antelope, but tags are sold out.

The biggest limitation of being a novice is you don't know what you don't know.

Utah would be a good place, Arizona, New Mexico. Now you have to see what is available.
As far as I have heard, Utah sold out the general season tags everywhere. I have not checked personally.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions! I had looked at hunting areas in Arizona, but NM and Utah are also good ideas.

@HATCHET1 The bank account could always be better, but I would be happy to pay for access to private land. Please PM me if you know private land we can access.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu