Camo Question

Sssshhhh, Steve-O!!!! next thing after taking away the ammo they will want us to dress up in blinking orange so that we won't get near even squirrels.

I would rather hike in a pair of Sitka pants all day than a pair of Levi's. Way more comfortable. When your hiking miles comfort is every thing. IMO

Camo is certainly overrated in most cases. The "$300 Jackets" are about comfort. Like MJB said - fit and function. Rotary phones worked back in the day too, but technology prevails in so many other ways.

If you are more comfortable, you will hunt longer and harder. The newest fabrics and clothing designs are more quiet, more comfortable, more water resistant, lighter, dry faster and don't retain scent like standard cotton clothing or old school stuff. These are just the facts man...

just saying!

Gcddarren said:
What type of camo for so cal dear hunting and hunting in general do you recommend? Coverall type, bibs and jacket, pants and jacket? Gortex? Cabelas silent suede? About to spend some money and I just dont want to buy the wrong stuff.
In my opinion it doesn't matter what you wear. I'd love the latest and greatest but I don't have a lot of money so I gotta make due with what I can get cheap. I hunt in a pair of brown or grey pants and a $20 mossy oak brush shirt and if it's cold I'll wear a cheap camo jacket or a green carhartt if I'm absolutely freezing(which rarely happens). Also no matter what you wear you ain't gonna be successful if your unmotivated. That matters a lot more than good camo.

For me it's mostly about the material, or fabric, similar to any other outdoor activity during which heat exchange, sweating and environmental conditions are a concern. Just say no to cotton, and you'll be off to a good start. I get stuff off the clearance rack or the house brand at REI when I can for the inside and insulation layers, especially if I can find muted colors. And I only buy camo when it's on sale. Check out www.camofire.com for some good discounts. The iPhone app crashes a lot, but you can go to the web site to order.

I will say that having watched buddies come down off a hillside from half a mile away, camo definitely makes it much more difficult to see even a moving human. I remember losing sight of them when my buddy took his orange hat off and only finding them again on the hillside when he put it back on.

I find that the Real tree desert pattern works really well when Im driving around the ranch

I can get really close to them in my 4X4 when Im wearing it

seriously though dress for the weather

What I wear depends on which type of hunting I will be doing; if I'm bow hunting, I wear layers of thinner material and if I'm rifle hunting, I wear less layers but add a heavy jacket when it's cold. I like as little material on my left arm as possible when I'm bow hunting...

As for patterns, I have a Sitka pullover in Mountain Mimicry that I like as my top layer (over UA Cold Gear or just t-shirt/s) but I always wear plain old $24.99 (or less http://www.cabelas.com/product/Clothing/Mens-Hunting-Clothing/Mens-Lightweight-Camo-Clothing/Mens-Lightweight-Camo-Pants%7C/pc/104797080/c/104748480/sc/104431680/i/104017680/Mossy-Oakreg-Five-Pocket-Denim-Jeans/1412036.uts?destination=%2Fcatalog%2Fbrowse%2Fmens-lightweight-camo-pants%2F_%2FN-1100950%2FNs-CATEGORY_SEQ_104017680%3FWTz_l%3DSBC%253BMMcat104797080%253Bcat104748480%253Bcat104431680) pants from Mossy Oak or Cabelas in "Break-up or New Break-up pattern)

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu