Camo Question

Gcddarren

Sep 23, 2014
What type of camo for so cal dear hunting and hunting in general do you recommend? Coverall type, bibs and jacket, pants and jacket? Gortex? Cabelas silent suede? About to spend some money and I just dont want to buy the wrong stuff.

Check out Kuiu, they have some awesome gear. Expensive, but awesome! I like the verde Camo myself.

in my experience in california deer hunting something very cool and layer. its usually HOT!!! quiet, light and cool. I have some done dry stuff from bass pro and some goretex and i dont use either one for so cal deer. My wife has some really nice insulated under armore storm pants and they get way to hot after about 9AM.
maybe some one else has something different to say but deer season in so cal is early in the season and its always warm to really hot where i hunt. Ive never spent much for sent lok but some swear by it. mine is real tree extra

Agree with Garrett...but I like the Vias Camo. The Kuiu is Awesome stuff!

Also look at:

Core4Element
First Lite
Kryptek
Sitka

Save your money.....Hunting deer isn't like hunting turkeys where your pray is close in proximity......I think any camo in browns & greens will work......Bow hunting is exception.....Leafyflage and normally the same stuff I use for turkeys......A whole suit for under 80 bucks.......2 cents.

Attachments

• montana 2012 2 007.JPG
    montana 2012 2 007.JPG
    417.5 KB · Views: 62
  • Bucks & Wister 10-31-12 100.JPG
    Bucks & Wister 10-31-12 100.JPG
    627.2 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG_4124.JPG
    IMG_4124.JPG
    402.4 KB · Views: 48
ilovesprig said:
Save your money.....Hunting deer isn't like hunting turkeys where your pray is close in proximity......I think any camo in browns & greens will work......Bow hunting is exception.....Leafyflage and normally the same stuff I use for turkeys......A whole suit for under 80 bucks.......2 cents.

X2... Some people think I'm weird for doing it, but I'll wear my ghillie leafy suit to hunt almost everything besides quail and bunny (sight to see when I have dove fly into a tree 10 feet from me and I'm just a bush with a gun). If they can't see you or identify somthing's "off", that's 1 step closer to your success. 2 cents.

If your spot & stalk bow hunting it's a must along with a face mask. It buys you those extra seconds to draw

Otherwise earth tones work real well

Sitka & Kuiu for fit & function over camo color

I wonder how we got any deer in the old days (1962) without $300.00 dollar jackets & pants.....lol

Attachments

• scan076.jpg
    scan076.jpg
    328.5 KB · Views: 50
You don't need any camo when the deer are looking at that jeep......looks like school bus colors

MJB said:
You don't need any camo when the deer are looking at that jeep......looks like school bus colors
haha good point. Merino wool or scent-suppressing poly blends (so they don't pick up your body stink) are great in any color and pattern as long as it's not bright.

Me and my buddy use to prefer normal clothes. Deer would mistake us for bird watchers

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1421364654.960520.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1421364654.960520.jpg
    413.1 KB · Views: 55
  • ImageUploadedByTapatalk1421364645.220921.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1421364645.220921.jpg
    371.7 KB · Views: 56
  • ImageUploadedByTapatalk1421364636.618625.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1421364636.618625.jpg
    283.7 KB · Views: 48
  • ImageUploadedByTapatalk1421364626.929778.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1421364626.929778.jpg
    291.6 KB · Views: 50
  • ImageUploadedByTapatalk1421364618.961144.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1421364618.961144.jpg
    147.4 KB · Views: 221
If camo made any difference. They wouldn't make us where this stuff in Montana...But it is cool to wear the latest, greatest, and most expensive..........lol

ps......Really surprised they don't make us here in Cali........ ::)

Attachments

• IMG_9400.JPG
    IMG_9400.JPG
    503.2 KB · Views: 47
No Camo works on big cali bucks too

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1421371902.410875.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1421371902.410875.jpg
    136.2 KB · Views: 57
Its not about the color as much about fit & function. Hike all day in jeans then do the same hike in some of the top lines and you'll be a believer.......If you backpack hunt its a must I also don't mind if it gets bloody.

The added bonus is everyone knows your hunting. You can get some funky looks at the gas station in the city & good intell from the locals.

ilovesprig said:
If camo made any difference. They wouldn't make us where this stuff in Montana...But it is cool to wear the latest, greatest, and most expensive..........lol

Yeah, CO, WY, VA, and lots of other states. It seems to be the only thing CA doesn't require of hunters... Which makes me think DFW wouldn't mind if we shot each other.

Bonejour said:
ilovesprig said:

Yeah, CO, WY, VA, and lots of other states. It seems to be the only thing CA doesn't require of hunters... Which makes me think DFW wouldn't mind if we shot each other.
Hahaha now that's funny and maybe true

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu