Camo...

SDLIVIN

Oct 26, 2018
So other then being non-fashionable and I guess semi-tacky, any particular reason to have 1 camo type on you during a hunt.
Been picking up gear left and right, and I have all sorts of patterns going on;
Mossy Oak
Cypher
Verde 2.0
Kryptek
Real tree
etc...
Do the hunted really notice if you have various patterns on, or just the fact you have a break up pattern going on is the value?
-Robert

Camo doesn’t matter for big game hunting. Movement matters. Sound matters. Scent matters more than anything else. If you are moving, I don’t care what you are wearing, if you are in their plane of vision they can see you. Wear dull colors or whatever camo you want and pay attention to the wind and don’t bumble around making tons of noise.

Sit down, glass, and plan movements with strategy if you are trying to intercept an animal. Get yourself a “windicator” and use it periodically and anytime you are moving. If a deer is downwind of you just wave goodbye and move on to the next one!

In addition No shiny stuff.
Dull quiet clothing, when stalking
Quite slow foot steps.
As Kellen said the enemy is
Smell
Noise
Movement
So I like painting or covering my face because I have white wiskers.
Try to stay in cover, don't be out in the open. I look for natural blinds.
Pile of rocks I can hide in. Yet have almost 360 view. But a lot depends on terrain, and many factors.

Reactions: SDLIVIN
Robert,

Any camo will work someplace.....Match the hatch....Like most things, under certain conditions a certain camo would be best......For instance, snow camo in snow, leafy greens in the spring for turkeys, dull tans or browns in the desert for doves, reedy or marsh colors for waterfowling, and fall leaves or brush colors in the fall.

.037.JPG018.JPG070.JPG031.JPG118.JPG

Camo is highly over rated, stealth, concealment lack of noticeable movement and wind knowledge is where its at. There is great gear out there if you need it, technical stuff (Kuiu and Sitka are great for that but don't spend the money if you don't need it) Most of the pro guides and land owners who don't need it wear what they are comfortable in from what I have seen and don't spend money they don't need to. I use Carharrt lowers double front pants and and whatever I need synthetically to keep my upper body warm as well as good boots (Kennetrek).

These are the pants I wear for 90% of my hunts in CA, AZ, and NM. These are the most comfortable pants I own. I wear a thin merino base layer under them when it is in the 30s-50s. The wind is the most important thing. I wear leafy Camo for turkey. But the main thing for big game is wind, movement, and profile.

prAna Men's Stretch Zion Inseam, Charcoal, 32

Reactions: SDLIVIN
These are the pants I wear for 90% of my hunts in CA, AZ, and NM. These are the most comfortable pants I own. I wear a thin merino base layer under them when it is in the 30s-50s. The wind is the most important thing. I wear leafy Camo for turkey. But the main thing for big game is wind, movement, and profile.

Link doesn't work

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

3D Camo is the BOMB! I've had amazing nature encounters when wearing 3D Leafy-suits & 3D Boonie hat, and also the Mesh Ghilllie Suits.. together with a Mesh fullface mask always.

And both of these... go on over the outside of whatever you're wearing (Hence the reason I've chosen ones that are very light fabrics because it gets very hot in my spots)

REDHEAD 3D EVOLUTION Jacket and Pant (RealTree Xtra), nice and thin material! I can roll it up and fit it in my Guide Lid.

KILL SUIT SAPPER 3D Strip Wicked Woods - both in (Digital Woodland) and in (Digital Desert). For the Mesh Ghillie suits, if you BackPack hunting... don't get the 2-Piece Jacket and Pants... just get the SAPPER style Jacket that hangs below the knees. When ya have the pants on, while you're hiking and moving to another spot... you're often stepping on the mesh strips at the bottom of the pants leg and causing them to tear out. Also when you have to fuss with your belt you'll end up getting mesh strips caught in your belt closure and ripping them out.

But with the SAPPER suit one.... its easy... just pop a few buttons... do your business.... then close em back up. When ya get back home they are super easy to clean too.

Make sure you get some liner gloves that reasonably match the colors of the suits, otherwise your hands will stick out.

The Mesh Kill Suits... what you're wearing underneath of them slightly shows thru the mesh, so just make sure you're wearing any kind of camo shirt with the kinds of colors you'd expect for your area.

The Mesh Ghillie Suits are AMAZING at letting air flow thru them!

If you are moving, I don’t care what you are wearing, if you are in their plane of vision they can see you. Wear dull colors or whatever camo you want and pay attention to the wind and don’t bumble around making tons of noise.

Sit down, glass, and plan movements with strategy if you are trying to intercept an animal. Get yourself a “windicator” and use it periodically and anytime you are moving. If a deer is downwind of you just wave goodbye and move on to the next one!

When you're on a sit at an ambush spot... don't even bother turning your head in the direction the wind is blowing. Don't even bother. Try to first look to the sides with just your eyes. Even better, learn to pay attention to what you hear so you're not moving so darn much

Unfortunately though... once you start needing stronger and stronger glasses... you then *have* to look thru the glass to see anything well at all, so unfortunately now I have to move my head more than before. But just think to yourself "Ninja Slow". LIke... turning your head 90 degrees to look to your side... it should take you like about 9 seconds to do it slow enough. It's a trip what you can get away with in terms of movement, as long as you are sitting in the shadows... and you move imperceptibly slow. And if they are in your FOV when you're moving... keep your eyes on them, watch their body language! You can tell when they've seen you moving. But with the concealment gear on... as long as you are good at playing the freeze game... and don't proceed to move again until you see their body language change back to relaxed and they put their head back down or turn to look the other way, or as they meander a tree comes between their eyes and you. Then you can move a bit. But as soon as their eye comes out the other side of that tree, the freeze game again. As long as you learn how to play the freeze game well... you'll have some amazing experiences out there!

RE: Noise - Once you get to a spot where you're going to sit, don't be dumb! Think ahead! Get out any thing you think you might want to reach for or need! Take off that bino harness and set those binos down at your side, besides the water bladder in the pack, I always take another water bag with a fliptop drinking spout. And I can open that thing silently. Put your pack down such that it helps to block your feet from their view. Close enough that you can rest your rifle or bow on it, but not soo close that it will be in your way if you need roll onto your knees to get out of a low seat, or not too close that you can't fit your shooting sticks in front of you.

Go out to the spot ahead of time and build a ground blind with deadfall or trail-cleared branches they leave around sometimes.

And learn about HOW LONG you can remain in the shadow at the spot you choose. When you move and you are not in the shadow and you don't have stuff behind you that breaks up your outline in conjunction with your concealment gear... your movement sticks out SO BAD.

For a sit spot... make sure you actually either sit down at that spot for a second... or stoop over and dip your head down to the eye-level you'd be at when seated.. and take a moment to look around your FOV. Are there branches in the way that would be easy to snap-off? You don't always want to snap them off either sometimes those hanging deadfall branches help to further conceal you from their view... but you just have to be ready and wait until they pass from behind them into a more open spot beside it before you take your shot.

When you're on a sit at an ambush spot... don't even bother turning your head in the direction the wind is blowing. Don't even bother. Try to first look to the sides with just your eyes. Even better, learn to pay attention to what you hear so you're not moving so darn much

Unfortunately though... once you start needing stronger and stronger glasses... you then *have* to look thru the glass to see anything well at all, so unfortunately now I have to move my head more than before. But just think to yourself "Ninja Slow". LIke... turning your head 90 degrees to look to your side... it should take you like about 9 seconds to do it slow enough. It's a trip what you can get away with in terms of movement, as long as you are sitting in the shadows... and you move imperceptibly slow. And if they are in your FOV when you're moving... keep your eyes on them, watch their body language! You can tell when they've seen you moving. But with the concealment gear on... as long as you are good at playing the freeze game... and don't proceed to move again until you see their body language change back to relaxed and they put their head back down or turn to look the other way, or as they meander a tree comes between their eyes and you. Then you can move a bit. But as soon as their eye comes out the other side of that tree, the freeze game again. As long as you learn how to play the freeze game well... you'll have some amazing experiences out there!

RE: Noise - Once you get to a spot where you're going to sit, don't be dumb! Think ahead! Get out any thing you think you might want to reach for or need! Take off that bino harness and set those binos down at your side, besides the water bladder in the pack, I always take another water bag with a fliptop drinking spout. And I can open that thing silently. Put your pack down such that it helps to block your feet from their view. Close enough that you can rest your rifle or bow on it, but not soo close that it will be in your way if you need roll onto your knees to get out of a low seat, or not too close that you can't fit your shooting sticks in front of you.

Go out to the spot ahead of time and build a ground blind with deadfall or trail-cleared branches they leave around sometimes.

And learn about HOW LONG you can remain in the shadow at the spot you choose. When you move and you are not in the shadow and you don't have stuff behind you that breaks up your outline in conjunction with your concealment gear... your movement sticks out SO BAD.

For a sit spot... make sure you actually either sit down at that spot for a second... or stoop over and dip your head down to the eye-level you'd be at when seated.. and take a moment to look around your FOV. Are there branches in the way that would be easy to snap-off? You don't always want to snap them off either sometimes those hanging deadfall branches help to further conceal you from their view... but you just have to be ready and wait until they pass from behind them into a more open spot beside it before you take your shot.
Very well written and said.
Keeping still is important.
On stand that is.
And that's why I like natural
Blinds it hides my contour and movement. Ideally only my head
Is visible.
LOL the freeze game is so right on.
Never heard it explained any better.
Well done Larry.

After missing two arrow shots on this buck...09100004 - Copy (2) - Copy.JPG
He decides to Trot around the Tree to his left... as he's doing so I attempt to rise off my Tripod Stool. I get to my feet and was going to try to knock an arrow to be ready to try again for a shot at the open space on the other side of that tree.

Well... when he got to the other side of that tree... he did that thing they seem to do of being curious and wanting to know what the hell is flinging these things at me? So he turns into that opening on the other side of the tree, he's pointed right in my direction, so I freeze... mid-step...bow is up, hand at bottom of bow, had not yet got it up to grasp an arrow. After some seconds of coming into that opening and staring at me to figure out if I'm a living thing... he then turns around to have his butt pointed at me, ready for retreat, but then looks back over his shoulder to stare at me intently some more. So I cant freakin' move. And he's only like... maybe 10-15yds away from me!

I'm focusing everything on keeping calm so my pulse won't pound. It's several seconds. Twitch-Twitch... his tail's starting to show he's getting nervous. I'm pretty sure that now that I'm standing and he's closer and over *there*... that some of my scent is probably starting to faintly travel over there. You can tell he's registered it... but since I am a thing that does not move, and he has this curiosity... he remains looking at me for a few more seconds with his nostrils slightly lifted up trying to scent for me. More Twitch-Twitch. "Yup..he's about to jet. Darn it." and sure enough... he turns and Stots outta there. So I make sure to look him over as he leaves to make sure I had not hit him, lest I need to track him.

I affectionately named him "HEARTBREAK" in my "HEARTBREAK & REDEMPTION" video up on YouTube.

Picked up 3 pair of these in various muted colors, received yesterday. Seem well made; thin, water repellant, super comfortable, built in cinch belt. Like you said, with a thin layer underneath, should work out perfect in cooler temps. Thanks for the suggest.

Reactions: TRICER
This was my second season hunting. Learned a lot. As stated already.. Wind direction & ones body movement are the most important things to consider. I had marpat military camo last season. Kings camo this season. Also a old school woodland camo goretex over layer. Had deer at 15 & 20 yards they never saw me. Wind at my face.
The day discovered camo patterns do not make a difference.... I had on Kings Camo pants. Old School woodland camo goretex jacket. Sitting on the ground against a small tree. 1ft diameter. Doe walks out walks directly towards me. That day was crazy she got spooked earlier and came back. So as she is walking towards me she is looking around being cautious. She looks at me and doesn't even notice I am there. She finally stops at 12 or 15 yards looks at me again. We are both at eye level. She looks at me and then past me. She isn't scared but something told her to stop. She looks around. Looking past me. Unaware that I am right in front of her. She then turns and walks away. Couldn't draw other doe would have seen me move. Man I can't till next season. The wait is going to drive me crazy.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu