Camp Pendleton

JWilliams

Nov 15, 2016
Has anyone non military hunted camp pendleton before?

Which tag is it that needs to be applied for? Struggling to find out.

Any other information on pendleton anyone can provide is more the welcome.

@JWilliams
back in the day,

now its just .mil dod and family and that's how it should be :)

if any of you are military you should look into it. It amazes me how many Marines do not know they can hunt it.
check out http://www.sportsmansclub.net/ if you look close that is SCH's own @just_ducky_1 with the gator on their home page

One time, many, many years ago. It was before I was married and I'm coming up on 35 years there. Too long ago to remember what tag it was and, more than likely, it has probably changed anyway since then. It's been military only now for as long as I can remember.

I thought the military only came after 2001....Here's an older map of Camp Pendelton….Here's one of the best bucks you'll ever see in San Diego Co. taken on the base....I do believe a G-10 tag is required.

.Luis.JPGIMG_20151110_0001.jpgIMG_20151110_0002.jpg

Reactions: Smokey58
Hey Steve that is my old friend Luis ! Met him at the sch bbq like 4 or 5 years ago! I remeber when he sent me a text, “ I shot big deer” dude knew his stuff.

He has since been order to east coast!
I’m gonna reach out to him see if he hammered any monster white tails.

I hunted the base for the past four years here is a little info. I have taken a buck and a doe it’s not an easy hunt but no hunt is! You have to put in your time and learn the training areas. I normally use archery as my scouting since it’s just too hot before then and they open at 0900 during the summer.

Need to be active or retired military or DOD civilian. Family members can hunt so that is the only way non military can hunt the base. Cost is 20 cash for a base hunting permit they are open weekends and holidays. For deer you can use a AO tag or G10. You must pick up a letter from the game warden office in August to buy a G10 at the exchange star card counter. If you have a premium tag you must wait until all tags go OTC. Season starts first Saturday in September for archery. Archery is first come first serve but may change to lottery this year. Rifle is four weekends in mid October to mid November done by lottery. You have to attend a safety brief and fill out an area preference sheet. They will email your results on Friday before each weekend during rifle season. You normally get one day and can potluck for the other day. Depending on areas open you may not be able to hunt. Base is open for small game and ducks as well. You have to check in and checkout with the game warden office each hunt day. You need a high profile vehicle and there is no off road allowed. The game warden office on base has the rules and regs. They are very helpful and will answer all your questions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
You are correct Steve taken on the northeast side of the base near the area that butts up against the CNF. That area is like hunting the Grand Canyon but has some big bucks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu