Can't find em from the couch

TRICER

Dec 20, 2014
tricerusa.com
5 doe and 1 buck tonight. now I am off to find some trees to hang my hammock then back behind the Binos in the morning. I love watching deer. A little spaghetti and PB&J for dinner. Living the dream my friends. Only a few more weeks left gentleman are you excited yet.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 118
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    879.6 KB · Views: 100
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    840.3 KB · Views: 98
It's early and they are moving. Crazy watching deer a mile a away wind me. Good stuff. Pumped for deer season.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    904.2 KB · Views: 44
Drew, are you in the same place where you ate and slept last night? They are used to folks passing through. But the longer you stay in one place, the stronger your scent and the further it will carry. They may be winding what you did 12 hours ago, and not necessarily you. Good to remember as opening day approaches. Don't spend the night closer than a half mile from your stand. Just a thought.

No I slept about 5 miles away. Got up at 5 and made the drive to where I am scouting. 4 deer this morning.

Drew,

Peanut butter is very pungent................:yum

Saw my 1st hard horned buck.....The rubs and activity is starting.....;)

It was a productive morning. I will add a little more wood and leafs next weekend. Also going to rake the inside bare no crunchies. I will most likely put my pop up inside the weekend before opener and shrub out the top.
Steve those MRE PB&J Definately are unique to say the least.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 87
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 80
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 80
Drew,

How were the fly's?......Brutal up in Julian......I know they're not as bad inside a pop-up.

ps.....Always afraid to use any kind of repellant.

Ya I didn't use repellent intentionally as well. They weren't to terrible but there were a few times that I felt like pig pen from peanuts. I slept by will valley pond last night no mosquitos that was nice. When I was up there beginning of July Me and the boys were eaten alive. I did lay my pack against a tree while I was working put it on with out checking for the hike out and it was covered in ants. Fun stuff.

Last edited:
Insects are really the worse part of the early deer/bow season.....I wonder how well deer smell ThermaCell or the wrist bands?

Anybody ever use these while bow hunting?

Good question!
I just bought a therma cell too

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I googled the therma cell question just the other day. Basically what I got out of it is they can definitely smell it. If you can smell it the deer can smell it.

Its supposedly a "natural" smell. Some guys said the deer don't know to associate the smell with danger but I would imagine that most bucks associate any foreign smells to danger?

Of course most of the time we are hunting the wind so it shouldn't be too much of a problem, but in times where there is little wind it may cause a problem

Hunting out of a pop-up, your smell pretty much goes 360. And is obviously stronger down wind.....Just wondering if that 360 expands.

Interesting response from archery talk. The heat makes sense.
I've used it for three years with no adverse effects from deer. I hunt mostly from treestands. Hot air rises.
They do smell it - yet since the gas given off is exceptionally warm it is high and carries a long way before cooling and settling back down to earth. In the fields in Michigan where I hunt I frequently see the deer 'winding' it 200 to 300 yards down wind. And they merely raise their heads and sniff and then go back to eating.
In the woods I have never been busted by deer using one. I am quite certain they are not even aware that the smell exists because of how high the gas is.
This year I am hunting from ground blinds and will be trying it out in that setting. I know when I use them in the summer for scouting, the deer seem to ignore me. I gotta believe they smell it. Like the previous poster said, when they associate it with danger then it will probably be ineffective.

Macsteve, I read that thread the other day. My question is are these high pressured California deer going to react the same way those Michigan deer do? I would guess not but I am a bit of a newbie. I could be wrong but I would think any foreign smell would put them on edge and/or scare them away

Couldn't tell ya. Only way we'll know is to try o guess.

The way I deal with bugs is a wear long sleeves and a hat the only thing exposed is my face and hands. Some of the new gear out there is actually cooler in long sleeves than a cotton shirt.

Bugs are just part of the experience. It takes a special breed to love hunting. Think about it we work hard all week and then on the weekend we get up at 2 am head out into the hills. Most guys are still asleep 5 or 6 hours after we wake up. We endure extreme heat, extreme cold, rain, snow and most of the time we are unsucseful. We sit still while bugs fly and crawl on us all so we won't spook a turkey, deer, duck, predator, deer, you name it. I truly believe God put more of a hunting and fishing drive in some than he did others. Really all those experiences and pushing myself is why I hunt. Just me and God out in the hills enjoying creation and pushing myself to see if I can get the better of it. No phone, no emails, no employees, it's a beautiful thing. Everything hinges on my skill and a lot of luck. Man has been doing it since the beginning g of time. 200 years ago most of would have been fur traders or buffalo hunters. No special gear just a muzzle loader and traps. Man vs nature. Only some have enough grit to still get out there and endure it. The rest just go down to the store to buy a steak and get fat watching TV.

Reactions: Fowl Play
Well put, Drew........I often wear long sleeves........It's the flies in eyes, nose, & mouth that bugs me......:laughing:

I use one of those mesh Camo hood and put the hole for your eyes in the back, then your whole face is concealed from the game and the Flys don't bother you and you can see fine through the mesh

mesh hood under 3d evolution hood ,no flies and it conceals my eyeglasses

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1471202330777.jpg
    FB_IMG_1471202330777.jpg
    172.9 KB · Views: 52
Last edited:

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu