Can't find my buck!

MJB said:
For my Jagds its hard wired into the breed but it can be done with any dog that has a good nose just get some blood and start dropping blood every few yards or so. Make it easy for them with a big reward at the end then make it harder once they understand what you want them to do.

Awesome work Mark

What an outstanding experience, and theres only one first buck with a bow, mark way to go bro.

In hunting it's not always what you think you saw or heard, it happens so fast, in the blink of an eye it's over, and you stand there going, what just happened? Or atleast you should be.

Some basic rules I have learned over the year, hard learned I might ad.

#1 if he does not go down infront of you, assume you did not hit him where you think you hit him.

#2 when in doubt, back out! Time is your friend, let the broadheads do its work. Don't worry about the meat it will be ok.

#3 double lung, always down with in a 100 yards, one lung can go a long, long way, and may even recover from the wound.

#4 heart shot can go a long ways, ( not the top of the heart, they are down quick ) give them time to bleed out, some times it will take a few hours.

#5 gut shot, don't move a muscle for minimum 30 min, then back out quietly, they might be right out of your sight, they don't like to move when gut hit, he will not go far unless bumped, and if you bump him,
he can go for miles. Look at the time of hit, give him 5 hours, or over night, he will be dead in his bed. they can not service a gut shot.

# 6 don't walk on the blood trail ever, walk to the side of it. You might have to back track, and or get on your hands and knees. Look on leaves, branches and brush for smear marks of blood.

In conclusion, and of course, wait for your shot to appear, broadside and quartering away ONLY. These angles give you the highest degree of a killing shot. Also, there are a million variables on each and ever shot we take, we can stack the deck in our favor by being proficient with our weapon of choice, knowing the anatomy, and angle of the animal, and in the end, doing everything we can to recover our game, even getting help.

I'll add get down wind that saved us......use TP to mark the blood spots so you can follow back to last spot of blood.......look for where would you lay down if you were a deer........and they seem to do a half circle a lot of the time

And last call someone with a dog even a rescue has a better nose than you

Super cool story - congrats on a the buck. Gives me flashbacks of my friends first buck in Ill. By the end of the day almost all the hunters in the area joined us to find his buck. It was a 10 hours looking for it but finally did it..

Great job by all

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu