Case of the blood-belly doe.

teachanother

Jul 3, 2011
San Diego
Hey gang,

I took these pictures off of the trail camera and noticed this doe with a fawn that appears to have a red belly and some red fur on her front left armpit area. I'm wondering if she was shot by an arrow and is bleeding or if its something else like the lighting on the fur or a glitch in the camera.

Take a look and let me know what you think.

Attachments

• PICT0240.JPG
    PICT0240.JPG
    38.8 KB · Views: 122
  • PICT0241.JPG
    PICT0241.JPG
    39.1 KB · Views: 122
  • PICT0242.JPG
    PICT0242.JPG
    39.1 KB · Views: 121
I checked the image colors to see if any other part of the fur has the same color and I did not find any similar, then I lighted the image a bit and animated and clearly looks like liquified, and shiny. Check the animation and see what I mean. I think is blood as you can see a hole on the chest and also looks very skinny.

Attachments

• doe.gif
    doe.gif
    669.9 KB · Views: 127
SkullReaper, Nice work...very interesting. I wish I could send you the larger pixel version. I appears that there is a piece of flesh hanging near her elbow. Also, the top of her hip is bloody looking in the middle of the dark patch of fur.

LP, I agree, there is a dark sliver of fur above the red armpit area. Might it be the entrance wound of an expandable?

How in the hell would that thing still be alive after a spear right there?
Never know what happens to these animals, I took a doe last year during M6 and her right side was filled with #7 shot.

Michael Pritzl said:
Intresting picture but I think it just shadows in the fur. If she was hit there she would be done.

Interestingly, I have a book around here that shows a pic of a buck with an old archery wound in that same spot and survived. It too was far forward. It was on a quartering away shot that didn't pierce the vitals. Like LP said, BAD ANGLE.

I know all about that, I hit a buck last year right behind both shoulders and had a clean pass through with a Rage. This deer bleed like you had a gallon milk jug walking through the woods with bubbles and huge puddles on his blood trail. This buck walked for two miles and disappeared into nowhere. Three weeks later I have him on the camera alive. I agree these local deer are resilient.

Michael Pritzl said:
Intresting picture but I think it just shadows in the fur. If she was hit there she would be done.

We also need to think in the possibility that she was shot moments ago, it can't be shadows Mike as the animal is moving and that pattern is stock in the same position, if it was a shadow will change dramatically in form or shape.

Captaintb said:
How in the hell would that thing still be alive after a spear right there?
Never know what happens to these animals, I took a doe last year during M6 and her right side was filled with #7 shot.
Thanks bro, yes please send me that better quality pictures so I can do the same thing in HD.

Adding to the deer wound category...

Anyone know what happened to the deer on the left. I've seen this twice on the same side of a deer in about a 5 mile area. Maybe the same deer.

Attachments

• IM000038deer wound.jpg
    IM000038deer wound.jpg
    247.2 KB · Views: 93
I have seen allot of deer in past years that grow tumors like that off their skin. One of my buddies shot a nice 3x4 in Utah last year that was riddled with them. Doesn’t seem to mess up any of the meat it is just on the hide.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu