Cash only fishing license?

Rocked and Loaded

Mar 29, 2021
I’m in Lone Pine right now and heading for Tahoe tomorrow. I plan to do a little casual fishing, I know it’s late in the season but it is what it is.

I stopped at two places here to get a license and both were cash only. I’ve never had this as a requirement before. It’s not the end of world, I just don’t usually carry much cash on me unless I’m doing something where I know I’ll need it (Turkey tuneup, gun shows, etc). You know how we millennials are. ;)

What I’m wondering is if this is standard now? I bought my license in lee vining last year and used a card. Did I just happen upon two stores in a row that have a cash only policy?

Store policy...They make so little off a license, that when they pay the Visa, Mastercard, etc charge, they get nothing...Just guessing why cash only.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rocked and Loaded
Store policy...They make so little off a license, that when they pay the Visa, Mastercard, etc charge, they get nothing...Just guessing why cash only.
Makes sense. They could just charge a fee.

I’ll just pick up some cash in Bishop tomorrow and hedge my bets.

Last edited by a moderator:
I know it's to late now, but you can purchase one on line. You will print it and use that until you receive actual license in mail. Unless Cal. has stopped doing that. I did a few years ago.

I know it's to late now, but you can purchase one on line. You will print it and use that until you receive actual license in mail. Unless Cal. has stopped doing that. I did a few years ago.
I could still do that but only if CA has implemented digital licenses. No access to a printer at the moment.

I feel like they were working on that but don’t remember if it went through or had started yet.

I’m no much of a fisherman so I don’t follow the fishing license stuff that closely.

Hunted in GA last year and now moved to Idaho..both will print out hard cards but as you wait for them to arrive in mail you can just download and open up the Go Outdoors app and you have your licenses there..CA looks for anyway to make it harder and catch people slipping to ticket them..in the words of the Hatch..its designed to hurt..

Well Beaver’s Sporting Goods in Lee Vining got me sorted out like last year and as always the guys there are friendly. I was happy to spend a little money on top of the license there because they have such great customer service.

Reactions: ilovesprig
Just the opposite at F and G office in San Diego. They don’t take cash.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Haha
They still do online purchases, best way is to just set up auto renewal, I have that and get my new license every November.

Likely the same reason they quit selling day passes at the check stations on the Wildlife Areas. I hear that they were missing some money at some of the Wildlife Areas so they just quit selling the day passes there.

It wasn't just some...6 figures some....................................:scream:

• Wow

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu