Catch & cook trout

HortoTheSlayer

May 17, 2018
Boise Idaho
Wasn't sure if I should post here or in the food thread..

Went to a pond nearby and did some trout fishing. Tried a few different setups but went back to the classic carolina rig and started catching them. The first one I caught I released for good luck since it was the first trout I caught out here in Idaho. I ended up catching another 5 in the next hr. My buddy wasn't having any luck but was happy to help net the ones I was catching. They were small but I figured if caught 5 or 6 I could get enough meat off them for some trout dip.

20221206_135505.jpg

I brined them over night and put them in the smoker the next day.

20221207_152727.jpg
20221207_155216.jpg

I also tried smoking cream cheese for the first time to add to the smoked trout dip I wanted to make. It came out great. Will be doing again. I smoked 2 blocks of cream cheese. The one on the left I seasoned with Kinders The Blend (s,p,g) I used that one for the dip. The one on the right I seasoned with Butt Rub and topped with some red pepper jelly to eat with crackers. It was delicious.

20221211_171821.jpg
20221211_192303.jpg
20221211_203555.jpg

For the dip I just used the the trout, smoked cream cheese, chives, fresh dill and lemon juice. It was killer!
20221212_214804.jpg
20221212_215518.jpg

After I brine and smoke mine I wrap them in foil and put in frig. overnight. I found that really helps get the smoke flavor into the meat much better. My wife will even eat it then. She is not a trout fan.

Reactions: socalhntr
After I brine and smoke mine I wrap them in foil and put in frig. overnight. I found that really helps get the smoke flavor into the meat much better. My wife will even eat it then. She is not a trout fan.
I actually let them sit in the fridge overnight since I smoked them before I went to work and didn't get to make the dip until the next day.

looks awesome. Seems like you are having a good time up there.
Loving it thats forsure! Plenty to hunt and fish out here. My wife is working now and our schedules are a little different so with the 9 month old at home its hard to get out as much as I'd like but been able to squeeze out some hunting and fishing here and there.

Looks excellent! Love smoked trout. Making the pate of the trout sounds awesome. I do this with my smoked tuna.
Question....I have never smoked the cream cheese. What temp can it handle before melting everywhere?

Reactions: HortoTheSlayer

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu