Central California Newbie

think he was talking about getting the stink out of the pans.... i did see a reference to cooking pork with h202 in a method like using lime juice to cook cevichi

how long did the pig go and how hot was it before you butchered it? big pigs can be tougher but some of the best pigs i have ever eaten were plus size models.

are you coming to the long range shoot in taft tomorrow? @Kennakinz

Not sure...apparently any wild boar over 250 lbs is EXTREMELY gamey and inedible.... all I know is the smell and taste is similar to cat piss and it wont come out of the pans I cooked it in, or my clothes that I butchered it in...I've tried everything like soaking it in milk and a brine...
I have eaten boars well over 300lbs and they tast great. My guess would be that it wasn’t gutted soon enough? With our warm weather if the meat isn’t processed correctly and cooled quickly you the meat will turn bad fast.

I have eaten boars well over 300lbs and they tast great. My guess would be that it wasn’t gutted soon enough? With our warm weather if the meat isn’t processed correctly and cooled quickly you the meat will turn bad fast.

Hmmm idk. I was skinning and gutting it within 15 min of shooting it...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: TRICER
think he was talking about getting the stink out of the pans.... i did see a reference to cooking pork with h202 in a method like using lime juice to cook cevichi

how long did the pig go and how hot was it before you butchered it? big pigs can be tougher but some of the best pigs i have ever eaten were plus size models.

are you coming to the long range shoot in taft tomorrow? @Kennakinz

Butchered it within 15/20 min of shooting it. It was early morning and only about 55 degrees out by the time we were all done.

And for the long range shoot this is the first I’m hearing of it so probably not lol.

Hmmm idk. I was skinning and gutting it within 15 min of shooting it...

Well then I would say grind it and season the snot out of it.
Weird that it tastes bad I haven’t had that experience. Curious what caused it maybe something in his diet.

Well then I would say grind it and season the snot out of it.
Weird that it tastes bad I haven’t had that experience. Curious what caused it maybe something in his diet.

Was feeding on a vineyard so maybe got into some of the fertilizer or something?

Major differences in a pig’s diet make relatively minor differences in taste, and even if you feed pigs slop they still taste great. So the diet can’t be the cause, IMO.
HOWEVER, if a pig is gut shot, or if you cut into the guts while you are field-dressing it, or if you don’t skin it before you put it on ice, the contamination can taint the meat rapidly even at 55 degrees. That happens with other game as well, but pigs are filthy and smelly on the outside, so your field-dressing technique is very important in order to keep the innards as clean as possible. Even if the meat doesn’t spoil, the taste of the meat can be affected by spillage and blood that collects in the body cavity. Think of it is a barnyard marinade.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu