CFARS

CuppedUp

Nov 28, 2019
I unfortunately had to reregister my shotgun on the CFARS website so legally purchase ammo. I filled the forms out and paid over 2 weeks ago and haven’t received anything via email besides my order/payment confirmation. I was told this should only take several business days. Is there a way to check the progress or a number to call? Thank you

@CuppedUp can you go into detail on the process? I've talked to a few people recently that aren't in a position to buy a new gun to get in the system, but need to purchase ammo.

I just renewed my drivers license to a Real ID....Took a few days to receive it....Zero issues anywhere to purchase ammo.

Steve,

When was the last time you bought a firearm? Has it been less than 5 years? If so you're in the DOJ system and a recent background has been done.

I drive up to Reno once or twice a year to Cabelas. They sell ammo to anyone no matter what state you are from. All the ammo a person wants. Some times the ass end of my 4x4 is sagging from the weight of my Cabelas “purchases”. I of course would never buy ammo in Nevada and bring it back to California. Now I’m not advising anyone to cross into Nevada to buy ammo without hassle and cheaper than California, but I’m just saying........

I drive up to Reno once or twice a year to Cabelas. They sell ammo to anyone no matter what state you are from. All the ammo a person wants. Some times the ass end of my 4x4 is sagging from the weight of my Cabelas “purchases”. I of course would never buy ammo in Nevada and bring it back to California. Now I’m not advising anyone to cross into Nevada to buy ammo without hassle and cheaper than California, but I’m just saying........

I tried to do it in Glendale Arizona last year at Cabela's. They carded me said they could not sell to Californians even though I was paying with cash. Manger on duty said I wasn't the first one to try by ammo from them. Told him BS and I walked out of the store.

I tried to do it in Glendale Arizona last year at Cabela's. They carded me said they could not sell to Californians even though I was paying with cash. Manger on duty said I wasn't the first one to try by ammo from them. Told him BS and I walked out of the store.
I can tell you for a fact that Nevada doesn’t enforce California ammo laws. Nevada does not ask for ID when buying ammo. You just load up your basket, pay for it at checkout and be off on your merry way. I’ve never bought ammo in Az. and don’t know why they would try to enforce a California law. I think that store was all f’d up. California law does not prevent you from buying ammo out of state it just prevents you from bringing it back into California. For example if you went hunting or target practicing in another state the calif law doesn’t prevent you from buying ammo for use in that state or any other state. Another example let’s say you went to Az on a guided hunting trip and forgot your ammo at home. If that store didn’t sell you ammo that would mean you would be s..t out of luck , no hunt, and out a lot of money. If the law was federal or required ffl
involvement then things would be different. In other words they cannot assume you are taking the ammo back to California.

Last edited:
I unfortunately had to reregister my shotgun on the CFARS website so legally purchase ammo. I filled the forms out and paid over 2 weeks ago and haven’t received anything via email besides my order/payment confirmation. I was told this should only take several business days. Is there a way to check the progress or a number to call? Thank you
Check back on CFARS. You should have had an answer in a few days with a confirmation number. You can always go into a shop ,pay your dollar and run a background check. I have dome many of those for customers who were still waiting on confirmation.

Steve,

When was the last time you bought a firearm? Has it been less than 5 years? If so you're in the DOJ system and a recent background has been done.

Scott,

I have bought a gun in the last 5 years….Walmart would not except that, but they do accept a drivers license with passport or a Real ID...I buy ammo in Nevada, Utah, and Montana...Never been asked about an ID.

Well it did look kind of suspicious. I had 4 cases of steel Dove loads six cases 3" duck loads and about 1000 rounds of miscellaneous calibers. 30-06, 300WSM, 223 22, 45 ACP, 9MM. tell you what it was nice walking into a store and having it all on the shelf. I guess I went a little crazy.

Weird, maybe a Cabelas thing. You can walk into Sprague's in Yuma or other shops and buy ammo without an ID and they don't care where your taking it.

I just found the page where I can check the status of the application. It says “in progress”. I’m assuming this means it’s it hasn’t been finished yet.

Huh really.i just did my real id three days ago.
So this gives access to buy ammo?

if you haven’t purchased or registered a firearm in California since 2014 (I believe), you need to purchase or reregister so Uncle Sam can keep tabs on you. From what I read and hear, you could also opt for a $19 background check instead of registering, however, I tried this and the clerk told me that I still couldn’t purchase ammo even if I paid a $19 background check. I’m not sure why I was told that. Can someone verify this?

When I prepared to buy ammo last year, I had to do the same thing that the original poster had to do - register a firearm because I had not purchased anything recently so I wasn't in the system. I tried to register the firearm through CFARS but it didn't work for me. I was rejected at Big 5 and they didn't specify the exact reason. I though perhaps my addresses didn't match or something weird. After Googling around and going deeper into the website I found the "update AFS personal information" section of the CFARS website. I did the AFS update, which required me to enter a serial number of one firearm, and then waited for that to be processed. When that was approved I went back to Big 5 and was able to successfully purchase ammo. And multiple times after that with no problems.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu