Check this out on the Salton Sea.

THE_NEW_GUY

Dec 21, 2015
Beaumont
Seen this as a news break. Seems very interesting.

Reactions: chessie
Written public comments will be accepted on the SSMP Project through September 30, 2020 and can be submitted via email at [email protected]. Let them know that we believe waterfowl hunting and salton sea restoration/habitat restoration are NOT conflicting interests and NOT mutually exclusive - and that there is much interest from the public to utilize these areas for waterfowl hunting.

So water transfers happen and cause this disaster. Who got the water? Developers building homes need some sort of water supply so there ya go. Make the developers pay to fix the sea, build some more desalt plants for sea water. But nope, let's make a fortune because of the water transfers and stick the tax payer and people of the imperial valley with the problems. Typical bull.

Reactions: THE_NEW_GUY
I can't remember where I read it. But if they were to dig a trench from the ocean to the Sea could solve the problem. The sea is something like 300 feet below sea level. May be cheaper to do that then charge us extra taxes. But then again they probably tax the hell out of us to pay for the trench. It's a lose-lose situation for taxpayers.... Remind me why we need a bullet train?

Reactions: ilovesprig
On a side note. Does anybody know how deep and how big the sea would be at full pool?

I'm sure some of you older guys out there have seen it close to being full. Pictures would be cool

I am only 37 but grew up fishing and camping there as a kid. It used to be an amazing spot for Corvina fishing when we were younger, I have a picture of holding one up when I was 7-8 that was as long as I was but can't find it right now. Unfortunately that isn't the norm anymore and smells pretty bad when you are anywhere near it in the summer. Here is an older picture of some of the corvina that used to be caught there. 1600885642260.png

I’d like to see it restored, along with those big corvina too! I always wanted to catch one of them monsters

I am only 37 but grew up fishing and camping there as a kid. It used to be an amazing spot for Corvina fishing when we were younger, I have a picture of holding one up when I was 7-8 that was as long as I was but can't find it right now. Unfortunately that isn't the norm anymore and smells pretty bad when you are anywhere near it in the summer. Here is an older picture of some of the corvina that used to be caught there. View attachment 46035

CJ,

Pretty sure that picture is either San Felipe or LA Bay (Tortuava)...Fished and hunted the sea since 1969.

The Salton Sea was much lower until the middle to late 80's....By the Early 90's it was all the way up to Davis road...Wiped out F-7,8, & 15, McDonald Rd, and came up to the back of Wister....When we got the duck club in Westmoreland in 1993....The sea was biting at the back ponds....Today, you can not see the sea from the raised back dike.

The pictures are from 1975...That bell that Tom Blankinship (former Director of upland for DFG) is leaning on is visible today...The sea is just slightly (last year) farther than you see in the picture...In the 2nd picture, that's the back of W-12...That is a pond that was create by the barnacle reef that I'm standing in.

.045.JPG042.JPG

Last edited:
I am only 37 but grew up fishing and camping there as a kid. It used to be an amazing spot for Corvina fishing when we were younger, I have a picture of holding one up when I was 7-8 that was as long as I was but can't find it right now. Unfortunately that isn't the norm anymore and smells pretty bad when you are anywhere near it in the summer. Here is an older picture of some of the corvina that used to be caught there. View attachment 46035
Sea of Cortez like Steve said. Tortuava/tortuaba. Orangemouth corvina in the Salton Sea got to about 37lbs commonly to the high teens. As far as the smell the sea had stinky places and times even when healthy. Massive tilapia die offs were common from drops in water temp and from low O2 levels in areas.

Last edited:
On a side note. Does anybody know how deep and how big the sea would be at full pool?

I'm sure some of you older guys out there have seen it close to being full. Pictures would be cool
I think it was about 30x18miles. I fished in 30 feet of water on the west side. You could go from Red Hill to Wister without seeing anything deeper than about 12 feet.

As far as the smell the sea had stinky places and times even when healthy. Massive tilapia die offs were common from drops in water temp and from low O2 levels in areas.
Call me crazy but that smell's like an old friend reminding me it's duck season. When I'm unloading my gear, my wife will ask WTF is that stench.. honey it's the smell of ducks being taken on the sea.

I think it was about 30x18miles. I fished in 30 feet of water on the west side. You could go from Red Hill to Wister without seeing anything deeper than about 12 feet.
So it seems fairly shallow. Probably why it smells so bad hot water and dead fish. If the water gets hot would be part of evaporation? So is the sea disappearing considered a natural phenomenon?

So it seems fairly shallow. Probably why it smells so bad hot water and dead fish. If the water gets hot would be part of evaporation? So is the sea disappearing considered a natural phenomenon?
Giant shallow body of water in an extremely hot and arid climate. Worse case scenario for evaporation. Water supplies became more valuable and saw increased demand. Farmer's and the irrigation district made changes to reduce/eliminate ag runoff that formerly fed the sea. The Colorado River has more demand than supply. I don't think we'll ever see Lake Mead look like it did less than 20 years ago.

Reactions: ilovesprig
I caught the end of it, it was a paradise :)

Depends on what you mean by "full pool". The present Salton Sea you can pretty much see where the shoreline was when it was "full" as it hasn't been that long since it started shrinking. If you're talking as recently as 600 years ago or so it was called (or has been named by archeologists) Lake Cahuilla (not to be confused with the Lake Cahuilla up by La Quinta) and it covered about 2000 sq miles. You can still see the ancient shoreline in some of the hill surrounding the sea.
53f81778b5a16.image.jpg

If you want to talk about even further back it was actually the north end of the Gulf of California.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu