Chilling looking for sqeeks

Not good weather for squirrels.

So in cooler weather like this... would the tactic be trying to setup for them in the early AM? Like trying to catch them attempting to Sun themselves and warm-up in the morning?

Either that, or I'd assume maybe look-alive during periods when the wind/breeze dies down and it warms up a little? Like find the little nooks and areas that are protected from the wind, right?

Reactions: longbowhunter2
My experience with ground squirrels or prairie dogs is that they're an animal that likes the sunshine early...About 8:00 am to 2:00 pm seems to be best.

ps....In the super warm summer months, it's all pretty early and late afternoon.

For myself, squeeks have just sorta been this consolation prize thing I do when the planned early morning attempts at calling predators didn't pan out. In the PM when the sun is nearer to setting, I'm in this North-South running Ravine where they either feed on the steep rocky shadow side, or try to grab some of the last rays of warmth on the less rocky sun side before the sun goes too far down. They'll come out of their burrows and fart around at the bottoms of the scrub oaks dotting that remaining sunny side. Or climb up onto a rock or two in order to take in those last bits of sun warmth before it goes away as the cooler PM air is starting to return.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu