Chukar? How Far Away from the SD Area?

AirRifleHunter

Hike, Scout, Glass, Prepare and then, Get it Done!
Feb 8, 2013
Hi all,

From experience and being out wearing down the soles of a few pairs of boots I know we have Turkey, Quail and in some areas Dove in the surrounding San Diego Country area and nearby locations.

What I'm wondering is, (and I must state that I'm not looking for you to give out information concerning locations) if there are any locations within an hour or two drive of the Santee/Lakeside/El Cajon area that hold Chukar?

I know they like arid, rocky places that are typically steep and have plants that produce seed nearby. I also know there needs to be water nearby for them to thrive. When I downloaded the Chukar Range Map, it appeared that the areas really didn't start any closer than above the Joshua Tree area. Is this the case?

Also, is there a typical elevation level that Chukar usually reside? I'm hoping to be able to hunt those little devil birds this year and possibly bring home a few.

Thanks for any help.

Sincerely,

Air Rifle Hunter

a short answer is NO :)

You can buy them and shoot them at dog training places like Prado.... and you get to skip the 6 mile hike up hill both ways

I know there are some up around Red Mountain, but from what I hear it's a circus and not the fun kind. Read somewhere that there were two guys shot (accidentally and nothing fatal) on opening day. Aeon is right. Better off finding a hunting club.

Eastern side of the Sierra's, the high desert (Victorville to the Nevada line) and eastern side of Big Bear towards the desert, the drought has not been good to the chukar so it will take some time before they are around in good numbers again, its not something I would spend any time with until we see a series of consecutive good rain fall year's. BTW store bought chukar taste good but don't fly or hunt like the real thing.

SoCalRebelHunter said:
I know there are some up around Red Mountain, but from what I hear it's a circus and not the fun kind. Read somewhere that there were two guys shot (accidentally and nothing fatal) on opening day. Aeon is right. Better off finding a hunting club.

Red Mountain gets so hard. I've never seen so many hunters not even on a dove opener

Thank you for the input guys.

I have a buddy that might take me this year to some isolated spots that he has that are pretty far away from my location, but I was trying to find some of my own too that might be within a reasonable driving distance.

I'll take your advice and wait for some better rainfall years. I definitely don't like being out with the zoo-like atmosphere and don't want to get shot by anything.

Out of curiosity and wanting to give it a try, what types of stores carry chukar?

Once again, thank you for your time and input. :)

Thanks.

I looked up information on purchasing live chukar chicks and also on purchasing butchered Chukar meat. I'll most likely just wait until I down one of those little buggers to get to taste a well prepared chukar.

I've hunted chukar north/west of Red Mtn with good success some years and never ran into big groups of hunters. Also hunted out of Dagget but its been few years.

At Red Mt. all the knuckleheads hang out in one area it's easy to spot you can see it from the Hwy.......but if you drive around the birds are all over those mountains and in good rain years you can walk the flats not just the hills and get a limit.......but like everyone has said we need rain to have good numbers!

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu