Chukar opener is this weekend

Randomshot

Feb 12, 2012
Lakeside, CA
Is anyone else going to try to chase chukar up and down the hills this weekend? I plan to either get my limit or wear my boots out trying.

I want to go...have a great dog too. Hint hint!

Dieter on point (he is not just a waterfowl machine). Also on point 2x with another bird in his mouth (he's a multi tasking mofo)

Attachments

• Photos April 06 003.jpg
    Photos April 06 003.jpg
    863.5 KB · Views: 24
  • Dieter NA Test 042906 007.jpg
    Dieter NA Test 042906 007.jpg
    894.4 KB · Views: 17
  • Dieter NA Test 042906 016.jpg
    Dieter NA Test 042906 016.jpg
    507 KB · Views: 22
Does he wear boots? The rock where I go is brutal. I'm going to trying to use my I cam extremes to try to video some of the shots. We see how they turn out.

Never put boots on Dieter, but the Dietman is always game. Snake Charmer and I are going to give him a tuneup on Friday and I will discuss boots for him. Fred may have some I can use.

Attachments

• Photos April 06 006.jpg
    Photos April 06 006.jpg
    859.2 KB · Views: 19
Well unfortunately I wore my boots out trying. My usual chukar honey hole dried up, literally. I read reports that the area did not receive much for a spring ran but was hopeful that some of the deeper water holes would still hold water. Well, they didn't every water hole and guzzler in the area was bone dry. I covered 8 miles and 2900' of elevation per my GPS and didn't see a single bird until I was walking a side hill towards my truck. I was pretty discouraged and thinking more about a beer than birds when one blew out 40 yards below me. I emptied my first barrel while slipping and attempting to pivot on some loose rock. The shot never caught up to the bird. I had my balance by my second shot but the bird was 80 yards plus away ( thank God for 4 shot). I pulled the trigger and saw the bird tuck but recover at the hit. It locked its wings and sailed to the hill side across from me. After apologizing to my dog for failing her I went to reload and two birds busted 25' away from me while I was loading( So back to that beer). Once I had a couple and could feel my legs under me I informed my buddies that I was going to pick up the bird I let get away. My dog Bella and I made our way up to the hill which my adversary had flown to. The bird was hit harder than I thought and after a follow up shot I was able to recover it. So my one bird was well short of my 6 bird limit but it was still a fun trip.

Way to give her hell RS. Like we have been saying...sure beats the couch! And way to get your dog out there. Any time you can get the dog out is a good time for both.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu