Cleaning a Rabbit......Gutless Method

ilovesprig

Staff member
Aug 3, 2012
Escondido
Here's how I clean rabbits in pictures.....Kind of like boning out a doe..... ;)

Attachments

• 007.JPG
    007.JPG
    657.2 KB · Views: 57
  • 001.JPG
    001.JPG
    682.2 KB · Views: 50
  • 003.JPG
    003.JPG
    679.6 KB · Views: 52
  • 004.JPG
    004.JPG
    619.9 KB · Views: 52
  • 009.JPG
    009.JPG
    561.6 KB · Views: 46
  • 011.JPG
    011.JPG
    381.6 KB · Views: 52
Nice, I will try that as soon as I can kill me a wabbit.

Thanks for the photo tutorial. I got the thighs OK, but made a mess or the backstrap. This should help for next weeks hunt. :-*

Straight down the backbone......There's a membrane that once you cut thru it off, the backstrap literally will pull off with a little help with the knife......A very sharp, thin bladed knife is required.

Attachments

• 004.JPG
    004.JPG
    466.9 KB · Views: 38
Thanks Again. Time for a new knife. I'm going to order the one with the disposable blades the you guys liked on the 'Knife Sharpening' thread. You good folks make for a great site!

You may want to check out Outdoor Edges knives (link to Cabela's)......My buddy in Montana used one on one of the elk. Actually held in my hand better than the Havalon.....Same philosophy, detachable razor blade.

.http://www.cabelas.com/product/Outdoor-Edgereg-Razor-Blaze-Knife/1628212.uts?Ntk=AllProducts&searchPath=%2Fcatalog%2Fsearch.cmd%3Fform_state%3DsearchForm%26N%3D0%26fsch%3Dtrue%26Ntk%3DAllProducts%26Ntt%3Doutdoor%2Bedge%2Bknives%26WT.srch%3D1%26WT.tsrc%3DPPC%26rid%3D20%26WT.mc_id%3DGOOGLE%7Ccam_Knives%2BTools_Outdoor%2BEdge%7CUSA%26WT.z_mc_id1%3D43700005646241337%26gclid%3DCjwKEAjwwtOsBRDdjZTbvYvTlzcSJADOY0DRwWj2_gqqHRQk19cMaMgjtW68vuno4SR-LOzXnNnuqxoCwsDw_wcB%26gclsrc%3Daw.ds&Ntt=outdoor+edge+knives

ilovesprig said:
Straight down the backbone......There's a membrane that once you cut thru it off, the backstrap literally will pull off with a little help with the knife......A very sharp, thin bladed knife is required.

muscles have a grain pattern to them, too, which can help keep the meat together as you sweep around to free it from the bone. Are you using the muscle grain or just following the bone with your knife to free up the backstrap? For example when stripping a tenderloin, I free it from inside the pelvis and work my way up the spine.

Oh yes. That looks like the way to go. July 3rd and I haven't been out yet - bunnies may already be scared off in my favorite spot.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu