Cleveland National

Todd1817

Dec 28, 2015
Looking for some decent hunting in Cleveland National so far 0 for 2... I went to eagle peak rd and ive hit tenjen trail area..... Any help would be great

Sent from my LGLS992 using Tapatalk

Begging for dope does not work,

That said if you are asking for help you might want to state what critter you are after.

What did you do the last two times out and what did you see

First not looking for prime hunting spots..... Second i did say help but that being said. I am tagged for turkey pigs and bobcats and general other critters. But i am looking for bobcats and quails along with cottontails till season ends

Reactions: Kaybra78
There are no pigs left in so Cal, feds eradicated them. Don't laugh but there is one old boar left and his days are numbered.

Quail in the cnf are really hurting from the drought. Even good dope is not much help. Have to drive to find them

Cats are all over keep calling and use a decoy, same goes for coyotes

Turkey are in the same boat as quail, we need rain bad, please do not shoot hens

2 trips does not a pattern make. Last two times I hunted my best coyote spot I saw zero dogs. This place is loaded but they didn't want to play

Reactions: Bugsy71
Yeah see I've used a turkey decoy and call to see if i could get a cat in and then last week i used a quail call and found rabbit's.... Yeah i drove 9 hours to lake Sonoma for pig's saw a lot of signs but did not see them.... Just looking for some help i know oc part of cleveland will be closed for a while with all the rain we got they were say closer to end of quail opening back up

Best bet is do what a lot of other guys here have done. Grab a CNF map, use google earth, and burn a lot of boot leather. That's the best way to find good hunting spots. Look for areas away from easy access points.

Cool.... I talked too CNF and they said they are redoing their atlas. So hope to get one soon

On x map app is pretty handy

First not looking for prime hunting spots..... Second i did say help but that being said. I am tagged for turkey pigs and bobcats and general other critters. But i am looking for bobcats and quails along with cottontails till season ends

U might also want to look around the IV.. lots of cottontails and quail hang around the ditches and on the edges of farmland and wildland. As others said, quail numbers in CNF are down. I'm seeing fewer rabbits too due to drought and brush overgrowth in areas that used to be good, but they're still there if u look around.

OC Cnf is super tough to quail hunt. Usually you only see them right on the road and you can't shoot on the road. I've heard of turkeys being on the OC side of the mountains but have never looked myself. I'm up there quite a bit and have never heard one but I've never actively looked for them.

If you're going to hunt turkeys, stick with San Diego Co......At one time, there were turkeys on most portions of the Cleveland......Not so much now, but they do move off of private during spring dispersal.

No substitute for scouting.

Yeah oc is closed still waiting for the last of the rain storm's

Yeah oc is closed still waiting for the last of the rain storm's

I believe CNF OC closes the trails/roads to wheeled vehicles (bikes also) only for erosion purposes. Foot travel ok. You might want to double check that info.

Yeah they closed all roads too Santiago peak you can still hike in

Yeah as much as i want to get out we need the rain... I am looking into Martinez Canyon rd going into Santa Rosa Wildlife area

Yeah looking for that honey hole so i can be successful, and put meat in freezer

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu