Cold weather lobster hooping 2/8/19

WaterDawg

Nov 20, 2016
Cabin fever has been setting in so with a rain-free window I took my daughter Nichole and boyfriend Patrick lobstering in Long Beach last night. We knew it would be cold but holy smokes, the windchill while moving from spot to spot in the center console was brutal!
62F71794-F513-4D43-A4E1-508EDE0E258D.jpeg
We had a steady pick at a mixture of shorts and legals with a sucker-punch high dose of those BARELY short ones that are so hard to throw back.
20DB5860-2543-4D0B-87B1-5076E5F11E60.jpeg
86C0AE04-3440-444A-9592-A612B500800F.jpeg
Variety net with a lobster, spider crab, and starfish.

This net full of shorts would have made a great Louisiana Crawfish Boil!
08654FD0-5BA5-4948-8BA8-4DF05BF9E641.jpeg
Ended with nine keepers including two really nice ones at 4 lbs 7 Oz and 3lbs 6 Oz. Ate some tonight and yeah, despite the cold, it was worth it.
652698A5-AEC0-40D2-A850-BC8EC88DE712.jpeg

E512F919-2FAC-4E95-8577-2324590A860A.jpeg20DB5860-2543-4D0B-87B1-5076E5F11E60.jpeg348753E4-0CDB-4181-A8B6-86685609615A.jpeg21A707A3-33CE-4A05-914E-7B80CF7E1885.jpeg

Attachments

• E4F7AA92-B961-4705-A0FA-82F0F2F749D5.jpeg
    E4F7AA92-B961-4705-A0FA-82F0F2F749D5.jpeg
    185.4 KB · Views: 11
Last edited by a moderator:
Fine day (or night) of hoopin' right there. Good eats! Do you keep the spider crabs?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
Jason, spider crabs do have tasty meat in them. However, you literally have to lay them on the driveway and hit them with a hammer to crack open the shells and legs. I think their shells are made of tungsten carbide. Not worth it. And the amount of meat is not great. Ugly as hell, throw em back ASAP.

Reactions: SurfNHuntSD
Strong work. Looks like you guys had a blast. It’s been a great lobster year.
We got out last night in SD Bay pulled 3 shorts in our first set. Then my buddies boat took a crap. Anchored the boat and waited 2 hours for our friend to come tow us in. I love boats!

Reactions: SurfNHuntSD
We got out last night in SD Bay pulled 3 shorts in our first set. Then my buddies boat took a crap. Anchored the boat and waited 2 hours for our friend to come
Mechanical issues out at the water is no fun. What type of engine & drive?

Reactions: WaterDawg
We got out last night in SD Bay pulled 3 shorts in our first set. Then my buddies boat took a crap. Anchored the boat and waited 2 hours for our friend to come tow us in. I love boats!
Bummer on the break down. Anyone boating for very long has been there. Sounds like you were prepared, and that's the key, glad you stayed safe. My bro repowered the Whaler with an Evinrude 90 about three years ago, and its been very solid. The E 90 was rated best in its class the year he bought it.

Burrr, lol got those hand warmers.
Hell of bug catch. Lucky fellow.
Yes, I am a lucky fellow. When Nichole was little I took her fishing and lobstering. Now in her 20's, its not super high on her list but a couple of times a year she gets the itch and we get after em together. One of the keys with lobstering was/is the mystery of never knowing what it is going to be in the net. As a kid, she was fascinated by the octopus, starfish, eels (catalina), sand bass, sculpin, sting rays, rock crabs, spider crabs, and other stuff I'm forgetting to mention. On a good night, it can be really exciting for kids. The other night we caught: lobster, spider crabs, rock crabs, sting rays, sculpin and a sand bass.

Reactions: longbowhunter2
When my kids were young around 12 and older they were fascinated by wild sea life. I would take them crabbing, lobster, and clamming. And lots of fishing. Fishing was their favorite.
Off shore mainly. Never know what
The ocean will give.

I had an Evinrude 70 horse 3 cyl.
Enough power but very economic.
I would go to the Coronado island at Mexico a lot. Never had issues.
I would clean and rinse the motor and boat after use. I would run all of gas out after disconnect the fuel line.
It was 2 stroke with portable 5 gallon tanks. I had 3 but rarely used 2 tanks of gas. That's the other deal running out of fuel would suck.

Vessel assist is worth every penny when you need it!

I repowered in 2012 with a 90 Etec. Been a great engine so far. I would suggest keeping on top of the fuel/water separator. Those engines DO NOT like water at all.

Vessel assist is worth every penny when you need it!

I repowered in 2012 with a 90 Etec. Been a great engine so far. I would suggest keeping on top of the fuel/water separator. Those engines DO NOT like water at all.
Yeah Vessel Assist or Boat US absolute necessity if leaving the harbor. Thanks for the tip on the fuel/water separator.

Reactions: longbowhunter2
A guy with a big I mean big power boat had a problem with a thru hual fitting. Was taking on water fast, I towed him in with my little 18-1/2 ft cuddy. Guess the first thing to go is the battery with he electronics. I had a portable ship to shore hand held in my hip.
It was water proof, and floated.
Old school once upon a time.
Just in case the boat got flooded out. Ship to shore on the boat.
Besides that all I had was a boat compus and water proof maps.
Talking back in early 90's. Before
It was reasonable to buy stuff.
Home built fist tank, I had a fish depth finder down to 800ft.
When the dolphins cruised by I could see the tuna under the boat
Turn the screen black. From all
Tuna following the dolphins.
Very cool.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu