Colorado Archery Elk hunt.

Benjammin

Feb 5, 2015
Alpine, California
Good day all. I am doing my first Colorado Archery elk hunt in September in the Montrose area. Wanted to see if anyone had any input for me as this is my first big out of state hunt & also we will be starting out at the 10,000 ' elevation. Any elk info/ area info or what to expect would be greatly appreciated. Hopefully in mid September will be posting pictures :) Thanks so much & thank you SCH for having such an awesome website.
Sincerely, Ben

Ben,

I can't give you any area specifics but I can give you some pointers to try and help curb the learning curve.

Maps: Get a good forestry map. You need a map that details trails, roads, creeks, rivers, etc.

Elevation: This can be an issue. Take some aspirin every day for a week prior to your hunt. After a few days of being acclimated you can discontinue this. I would suggest @ 2-3 days after you have arrived. Take it easy the first two days.

Weather: This time of year there are thunderstorms almost daily. It can go from hot/humid to wet/cold pretty quick. Make sure you have some good rain gear and several pairs of gloves to rotate if you wear them. Obviously good waterproof boots are a must have and plenty pairs of socks. A rain fly for your pack is also a good idea.

Bugs: Some years the mosquitoes will carry you away. Pray for a a small cold front to pass through before your hunt. If there are cattle in the area, the bugs multiply by 10!

Hunting: Find an active creek and follow it upward. You will find active wallows which are always a good spot this time of year. I like to follow these dang near to the top. There will be shelves up high where the elk can get a good vantage point thus making them feel safe. The best spots are active springs/seeps on a steep mountain slope. Even better if you can find these on north facing slopes. Stand back and get a good visual of a slope. Look for washouts on the hillside. If there is a patch of dead fallen down trees I would hike to it. Often the mud is what has washed these trees away. These tend to be the best spots.

Open meadows are great for an evening hunt. Glass them in the evenings and you will know if they are active. If so, a tree stand on the perimeter is a great chance for success.

Transfer routes between feeding and bedding areas are also great for early season archery since the elk are still on their routine.

Luck: The most important aspect is luck. I like to control my own luck as much as possible. I hunt all day...every day. Those who do are often the ones who are "lucky"! Early season archery elk hunting is a patient mans game. Leave the spot and stalk to the hunting shows.

Stay positive throughout the hunt as things can change quickly. Be safe and enjoy what is my passion!

Let me know if you have any questions.

Benjammin said:
Thank you guys soooooo much. Mergrath, Thank you for taking the time & incredible info. Looking forward to September cant wait.

Ben, you are very welcome! I wish that I knew half of what I shared with you on my first hunt. It took me a couple years to figure them out. I seriously went from maybe seeing a few elk on a 10-day hunt to seeing them daily. One thing about these animals that always blows me away is their ability to slip through the forest being as big as they are. Often times they just appear out of nowhere! You do get the occasional bulls that just don't care and run over every tree in their path but i'd say that's often not the case.

Good luck to you and keep us posted on your hunt!

Mergrath said:
Benjammin said:
Thank you guys soooooo much. Mergrath, Thank you for taking the time & incredible info. Looking forward to September cant wait.

One thing about these animals that always blows me away is their ability to slip through the forest being as big as they are. Often times they just appear out of nowhere!

Mergrath, do you trumpet or call during archery? It would be nice as a way to use a stand and bring them to you, if effective that early. The rut starts a little later, no?

Bonejour said:
Mergrath said:
Benjammin said:

One thing about these animals that always blows me away is their ability to slip through the forest being as big as they are. Often times they just appear out of nowhere!

Mergrath, do you trumpet or call during archery? It would be nice as a way to use a stand and bring them to you, if effective that early. The rut starts a little later, no?

They are usually very quiet until @ the 3rd-4th week of September. I would refrain from any calling unless the bulls are bugling. Chances are that they wont respond until muzzle loader (later Sept) and often winding down into first rifle (mid Oct). It takes a pretty good cold front to get them started.

I'm not a fan of bugling on public land. Light cow calling is best yet I prefer to just sit quiet. I've found elk to be like turkey on public land. They will answer but are extremely call shy. Personally I have had the best chances just sitting on their resources.

Last year I had 2-spikes that I toyed with a cow call. I figured that it was a good time to see what their reaction would be being that they were not legal in the zone I was hunting. Both of them would bugle to a light mew however they did not close distance between us. They just continued on their path.

A couple years ago i had a bull hang up @ 100 yards. I was in a tree stand with a decoy out below me. The bull would not come in. He eventually walked off so I cow called. He returned to the same spot at 100 yards and just looked in my direction. I don't know if the decoy had him uneasy or what but it was heartbreaking to see this big bull fade out due the falling sun.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu