Colorado elk hunt

Hunt4lyf

Oct 9, 2017
Colorado
A few pics from my elk hunt this past weekend. My daughter went out opening day with me and called in a little fork horned bull into within 50 ft but I couldn't get a shot. We saw a few more cows but no other bulls.

1019190726.jpg

I took her home that night and went out the next day solo, the weather did a total flip from opening day and got bad. High for the day was 20 with winds at 15-20 mph and gusts over 50 mph, windchill was brutal, anywhere between 0 and -25 all day.

1020191157~2.jpg

About noon I spotted elk moving through some aspens about 400 yds out. I watched them for 45 minutes and cut the distance by about 50 yds as they fed my way and at about 200 yds I put a bullet through the second biggest bull, the big 6 pt stayed inside a group of cows and offered no shot.

1020191258~2.jpg

It took about 3 hours to break him down and get it hung up, I took out a load and got to my truck as darkness fell and decided to come back in the next day to get the rest, the weather was just to bad to do it solo in the dark.

I got a cheap sled and was able to haul the rest of the elk out in one trip, two front quarters on my back and the rest on the sled.

1021191252a~2.jpg

Rough day but worth it.

Last edited:
Congrats on the Bull! I have several buddies out there right now, that snow came in quick!

Reactions: Hunt4lyf
Cool picks for sure. love seeing pictures of the daughter, nothing like them girls with you.
Nice work DAD

Reactions: Hunt4lyf
Sounds like a great hunt, nice bull!

It was great, thanks!

Nice job dude..i like elk hunting.

Me too, I like eating them more! This is a good tasting bull.

Congrats on the Bull! I have several buddies out there right now, that snow came in quick!

It hit fast and hard, the wind was relentless, it caught a lot of people unprepared.

There is another big storm coming in, they're already spraying the roads, calling for 7"-10" at my house. In fact, its starting to spit snow right now.

Good luck to your buddies!

Cool picks for sure. love seeing pictures of the daughter, nothing like them girls with you.
Nice work DAD

Thanks! She loves going out with me, I've got a 3rd rifle deer tag and she'll be tagging along with me again I'm sure.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu