Comfortable range for turkey

SurfNHuntSD

Oct 1, 2013
San Diego
www.sandiegoturkey.com
After seeing some of the other turkey threads on loads/chokes, I'm just curious as to what your comfortable range is for taking a shot. I figured since we've had similar threads on taking long-range big game shots and max archery distances, why not take a poll on from how far away you'd try to drop a thunder chicken. If you read the hunting magazines, it seems every year there's an article on some new turkey load and choke combo that guys swear by out to 70 yards plus, but for me that's a bit extreme. A couple seasons ago I had one creeping in at about 65 but stopped, and I decided against a shot with my setup at the time. For you guys taking longer shots (and especially those with success), what load/choke/sight combo do you use?

Jason,

Pretty sure I've never killed one at 50 yds....And I can think of only one that I shot at over that range and it flew off (60+).....I have seen turkeys killed at 60 yds with Hevi-Shot.....To me there's just too much of the luck factor for my liking.....2 cents

ps....Last year on the youth hunt, one of the kids killed a gobbler at 54 yds with his 20 gauge.....He was shooting Winchester Supreme # 6's..... :-\

pss.....Again IMO, Hevi-Shot is the best load money can buy..... ;D

Turkeys are tough, Body hits do little to anchor them. You have to hammer the neck and head to assure a clean kill. Like others have said test your ammo and see what it can do. Bottom line-if you don't feel confident don't take the shot.

Roger that, I'll take a look at some Hevi-Shot.. I know my buddy loves their Dead Coyote stuff. I have 1/2 a box of Rem Nitro Turkey (lead) left that I need to get rid of before July too though.

Thanks Steve, I'm aware... but reminds me, a word of caution to others for a similar issue I had a couple years back. During turkey season I had found some weeks old pig sign, so my buddy thought it wise to bring some buck shells (didn't want to lug around a rifle), not knowing it's illegal to have them on person while turkey hunting.

SurfNHuntSD said:
Thanks Steve, I'm aware... but reminds me, a word of caution to others for a similar issue I had a couple years back. During turkey season I had found some weeks old pig sign, so my buddy thought it wise to bring some buck shells (didn't want to lug around a rifle), not knowing it's illegal to have them on person while turkey hunting.

Or shoot pigs with buckshot.

Shotgun shell clarification
Question: I know that .00 buck shot shells can only be used to take deer in special areas and cannot be used for big game, like for bear and pigs. For big game like bear, pigs and deer (outside special areas), only slugs or sabot can be used. Recently, I saw a type of .12 gauge shot shells available at Big 5 that is a combination shot shell, which includes a rifled slug with three .00 buck packed together in a shell. Can this type of ammo be used for deer, pigs and bears? (Tim L.)

Answer: No, the shot shell you describe that combines a rifled slug and buckshot is not legal for taking wild pigs in California. Shotguns firing rifled slugs may be used for wild pigs, but not buck shot.

# # #

Carrie Wilson is a marine biologist with the California Department of Fish and Game. While she cannot personally answer everyone’s questions, she will select a few to answer each week. Please contact her at [email protected].

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu