Condor 1.5 7/24 report

MJB

Nov 20, 2012
San Diego
Once out of the harbor we had about 8 pukers on the rails really nice enjoying everyone's dinner. So we head for the ridge, we get there around 3am and cut the motors. Then the wind & swell rocked the boat pretty good so it didn't help the pukers one bit.

We wake early to no wind and 2-4' rolling swells. No fish under us so we start the troll and head to the hot spot with the rest of the fleet. We pass a few kelps and no one is home so we keep going to the hot spot. Once we get there Scott motors around to find the drift and fish are under us in no time we throw bait and right away we have hook ups. It goes like this for 4 hours 3-5 hook ups 40lbs BFT and a hand full of YFT

We had three seals hanging around they took one guys BFT right at color and one picked up my bait and has a 1/0 circle in his mouth fn bastards.....they left us after that so the 1000lbs hookup I had must have hurt him eventhough I couldn't turn him. Ha Ha!

At around noon the drift bite is gone and so are we. We troll and troll with nothing until 3pm then a blind jig strike on a 8"YT no joke the feather was almost longer than the fish.....so we find a small paddy with some hungry YT no size maybe 10-15lbs we keep a few bigger ones and we manage one female Dodo. We start looking and we find another paddy same size YT as the last with 1 BFT boated and a kelp.......3 knuckle heads pull the kelp to the boat.......haven't seen that in sometime. So it goes like this with very few kelps with fish. We get to the ridge in the evening and all the other sporties are leaving with no bites so we do the same, troll a few kelps keep a few then a strike on YFT and one on bait.

So it ends with 40BFT 15YFT 50YT & 2 dodos

I go 3 BFT & 3 YT had a great time....Scott, Mike, Tad, Miguel & Matt made a great crew the cook Bill is a duche!

Sardines are in the 5" range some strong others a little beat up. I used 25lbs setup and got worked on those BFT they didn't want to die. The key was get a good bait get it way out there and tail hooked was getting bit a lot more often. Fluorcarbon & circle hook work for me when using lite line the hook is in the corner of their mouth with no line in their mouth that can get cut or frayed. Just put in gear and the fish hooks himself. Always retie your hook after a fish and feel for frayed line so you can cut it off. Later on weights helped to get the bait down to the fish but not a must have.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    709.5 KB · Views: 18
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    667.2 KB · Views: 16
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    694.8 KB · Views: 12
  • Condor.png
    Condor.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 58
Mark, that is an awesome report. Congrats and thanks.

Sent via Tapatalk

Thx

Get out there guys the 3/4 day or overnight boats are all fishing in the same area so no reason not to go!

Steve, it's always a pleasure to talk to you about the BS we have to go thru to enjoy our passion.......let me know if you ever need some help checking game numbers with the biologist.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu